Anyone take summer Bio at BU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laura8924

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing most of my prereqs at Harvard Extension but I'm thinking of taking Bio 1 at BU over the summer... has anyone taken it? How is the grading and level of difficulty of the material? The Bio courses at Harvard extension are absolutely brutal so I'm looking to avoid taking them there.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Take this with a grain of salt since I've only heard this from others, but apparently BU's premed curriculum is notoriously difficult. I'm not sure if that includes Bio 1 or if it would still be harder than Harvard Extension though. Hopefully someone who has direct experience will chime in.

I don't know about that specific course, but I know that BU is notorious for grade deflation among all the Boston schools (and Harvard is notorious for grade inflation).

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about that specific course, but I know that BU is notorious for grade deflation among all the Boston schools (and Harvard is notorious for grade inflation).

Although I don't know about any grade inflation/deflation, Harvard Extension is definitely not the same as the College.

Harvard Extension is open enrollment. If you have the cash, you're in.

Last edited:
BU is definitely notorious for grade deflation and I highly recommend against taking classes there.

Harvard Extension courses are also likely to be significantly cheaper than BU.

Although I don't know about any grade inflation/deflation, Harvard Extension is definitely not the same as the College.

Harvard Extension is open enrollment. If you have the cash, you're in.

Ahh right right. In that case I can't speak to the grade inflation/deflation at Harvard Extension, only that BU deflates.

I've heard from a couple people in the Harvard postbac that bio at BU is much easier than at Harvard Extension. I'm just looking to hear some other first person accounts.

How about Umass Boston? Anyone heard anything about Bio there?

I've heard from a couple people in the Harvard postbac that bio at BU is much easier than at Harvard Extension. I'm just looking to hear some other first person accounts.

How about Umass Boston? Anyone heard anything about Bio there?

Just go wherever is cheapest.

Your obsessive GPA protection is ridiculous, and will likely come back to bite you in the ass. A solid foundation in bio will help you on the MCAT.

Just go wherever is cheapest.

Your obsessive GPA protection is ridiculous, and will likely come back to bite you in the ass. A solid foundation in bio will help you on the MCAT.

It never hurts to be overprotective. That being said, its really hard to predict how you will do because it depends quite a bit on the professor, etc.