anyone teaching w/o credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jklee114

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if any of you SDN members are teaching right now w/o credentials. Can you tell me more about your experience in teaching and how you enjoy it so far. Oh yeah, another question is how long have you been teaching

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in my second year of teaching high school chemistry and environmental science. I have never taken an education class, but I had done a lot of tutoring in the past. I really love my job and it will be bitter sweet to leave.

The only problems I have encountered have been with discipline. I teach a few general level classes and the kids really don't want to be there. It is a challenge to get them motivated and behaved.

All in all, teaching has been very rewarding

Members don't see this ad :)
How exactly does one go about getting a teaching job without an education degree or teaching certification?

Some private schools don't need the teacher's license. Also consider graduate teaching fellowships and programs like Teach For America

I am currently teaching 7th grade math at an inner city middle school. I neither have a credential nor a degree in math (though I have a BS in biology and an MS in chem). However, I did not have any trouble finding a job as a full-time teacher and I was told that if you have a degree in math or science, finding a teaching job is a cinch. As far as discipline is concerned, it was really tough for the first couple of weeks, but after that I got the hang of it and it's been one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had.
Contact your city's school district and ask about any openings they have and what the qualifications are. You may be required to take the CBEST (a super easy test after the MCAT), but you could probably get a waiver for most other requirements. Good luck!

I'm teaching for a second year after graduating with an English degree (and no teaching credentials). I'm in a private school, and I had several other offers despite lack of credentials. I did have a lot of education experience--part time work during college, and work at Summerbridge (an Americorps-affiliated teaching program). Anyway, I have really enjoyed these 2 years--it's great to have a job you don't dread going to in the morning! Well, since I'm teaching in a few minutes, I should probably go:)

anyone teaching in nyc w/out teaching credentials? I have this coming school year off and I really want to teach. I did all the fingerprinting stuff and they make it seem like they need teachers so bad, and its so much red tape...its really kind of a pain...so far I've had one interview for teaching middle school science in the bronx...anyways, anyone in the city teaching and that can give me some advice? Thanks :)

I hope I can help a little. The requirements for teaching in public schools are set by state law. Thus, you will have to look at your particular state for its rules. Generally, you get certified by having a degree in a subject, the appropriate education classes and pass several certification examinations. Some states have special programs for "fast tracking" people in other careers into teaching. These programs have intense classroom instruction (some as little as 6 weeks). I believe this only allows one to teach for a limited time, so a masters degree in education might be required to continue. Private schools set their own rules, but also tend to pay much less: in some places half.

In NY, I think you need to have a teaching certificate in the appropriate field to get a tenure track job. For secondary education, this requires 36 hours in you field plus the appropriate education classes and the exams. It is possible to get a permenant substitute position, however, which would let you teach without one.

Ed

yeah the board of ed basically said, after looking at my transcripts-I graduated last year, that I could teach chemistry and middle school science...or another science course if they really needed it. I had one interview w/the district office and then I guess you interview w/the principal of the school...I guess its easier here if you know the people at the schools, but I'm from Albany so it seems like its kinda hard to get in there...anyways, I have a couple of responses for some interviews and I'm gonna keep calling the other schools.

I have two friends that taught last year here in the city...they said the first year is TOUGH...no matter how prepared you think you are...I heard that middle school is the toughest because at h.s. levels, they're most apt to listen, elementary is tough to get their attention, but they're not big enough to be crazy as some of the middle school kids...I don't know, I guess it'll be interesting. Some other girl I know moved here from San Diego, started teaching cluster here in the city and the kids were terrible (throwing books out windows, etc)...but her second year was better...

seems like it'll be a challenge, but it would be interesting and hopefully rewarding...

BTW, I hate taking jobs and knowing I'm not gonna be there next year (when I go to dental school)...I feel like I'm abandoning them or something, but I guess thats the life of a premed/predent :rolleyes:

bump 'n' grind :D :p