anyone teaching without taking the CBEST

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jklee114

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is teaching currently before going off to med school, and if you are, did you take the cbest? have credentials?

jeff

Members don't see this ad.

I taught high school without taking the CBEST. Your best chance to do this is at a private school. Usually they allow this with the anticipation that you will take on your credentials education/masters if you continue to teach. I knew I'd return for medicine so I wasn't worried at all. Furthermore, if you decide to take the CBEST, I heard you can literally take it tomorrow and pass. It's not hard at all and that's coming from non-science majors too. Hope that helps.

wyldstyle2000

I am teaching English now, before heading to med school in the fall. No credentials, straight out of college with a good amount of part time experience. I'm in a private school--they are really not concerned with CBEST, etc. Some public districts also hire teachers w/out credentials, etc. if they agree to "pursue" certification while working.
This is my second year, and I've really enjoyed it...except for parent conferences, yuck.

I currently teaching 7th grade math in a public middle school. I have no credentials, I have not taken the CBEST, but I am 3 units shy of my master's in chemistry.