anyone teaching without taking the CBEST

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by jklee114, Feb 7, 2002.

1. jklee114

jklee114 New Member

I was wondering if anyone is teaching currently before going off to med school, and if you are, did you take the cbest? have credentials?

jeff

2. Doctor Wyldstyle

Doctor Wyldstyle Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I taught high school without taking the CBEST. Your best chance to do this is at a private school. Usually they allow this with the anticipation that you will take on your credentials education/masters if you continue to teach. I knew I'd return for medicine so I wasn't worried at all. Furthermore, if you decide to take the CBEST, I heard you can literally take it tomorrow and pass. It's not hard at all and that's coming from non-science majors too. Hope that helps.

wyldstyle2000

3. aqua

aqua Member
    7+ Year Member

I am teaching English now, before heading to med school in the fall. No credentials, straight out of college with a good amount of part time experience. I'm in a private school--they are really not concerned with CBEST, etc. Some public districts also hire teachers w/out credentials, etc. if they agree to "pursue" certification while working.
    This is my second year, and I've really enjoyed it...except for parent conferences, yuck.

4. barb

barb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I currently teaching 7th grade math in a public middle school. I have no credentials, I have not taken the CBEST, but I am 3 units shy of my master's in chemistry.