1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone think I should re-take the DAT or should I wait to hear from schools?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by SeriousPreDent, Apr 27, 2004.

1. SeriousPreDent

5+ Year Member

Here are my scores:

AA 21
    Bio 19
    Gen Chem 23
    Orgo Chem 25
    RC 20
    QR 17
    PAT 15

I know the QR and PAT are low...it was a really bad day and during the PAT I had some serious stomach problems....I think overall I scored pretty well and I thought that at least I should get an interview to most schools and if the scores bothered them so much they would ask me to take them over again...what do you guys think? Also my GPA is nothing to brag about so I studied real hard for the DAT to make up for it...after taking it once I actually think I can score a couple of points higher b/c I know some mistakes I made...

2. Thaxil

Thaxil Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Don't retake it. Your TS is great and most schools care the least about PAT and QR. A 17 is fine for almost all D-school and some school may stress the low PAT. Overall, it was a good preformace given the situation. I got a 14 on QR; don't stress about it! :cool:

3. Jack Worthing

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Get a book called Barron's Guide to Medical and Dental School

It has, among many other features, a table listing relative weight each dental school in the US puts on each section/average of the DAT (And same for canadian schools and their test- if u're interested).

If a lot of the schools you want to go to put major weight on QR or PAT, then retake it. Applications are around the corner. Perhaps you could send the schools your current scores and then just forward your retakes as soon as you take it (computerized DAT allows instant results). If, like many of the more academic schools, the schools you're looking at just put a lot of weight on O-chem, Bio, chem, and/or AA, then you should be fine.

That Barron's book also has a table listing relative importance of all the admissions factors- interview, GPA, DATs, dental experience, etc., fyi.

Overall though your DAT's look great, especially strong in the chemstry sections.

4. Jack Worthing

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I got in with a 22 AA, and I had >20s in QR, RC and Gen Chem, with 17's in O-chem and PAT (forgot my bio score). Which brings me to why I have replied again:

Upon a second inspection of your scores, I DO think the PAT section is worth improving. I remember during my application cycle that a 15 PAT is bare minimum for consideration for interview. I think that's worth strengthening considering you said your GPA is nothing to brag about. I was a bit nervous about my 17, but it was never brought up at interviews.

But again congrats on the scores in O-chem and gen. chem and if you can keep those up there AND bring up your QR and PAT then you'll be even better. And it wouldn't be bad timing to get those scores into schools by July/august - but of course submit the AADSAS and current DATs before July to get in place for early interviews (schools even take applications without DATs- and take them into their file whenever submitted).

5. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

Not bad: AA 21, TS 23 and PAT 15.

Call the schools, see what they think. Some people got into schools like UPenn and Columbia with PAT 14, and they had similar AA scores. IMHO, I wouldn't re-take it... those scores are solid.

Good Luck

6. meeskeem

meeskeem New Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree that you should contact the schools you're interested in and ask them what they think. From my experience in applying this past year, most schools do not look at the PAT closely, but I don't think they totally ignore it either. If you do decide to retake the DAT, I think you'll definitely be able to improve with a little more studying. The first time I took the test, I got a 16 in the PAT. I retook it and got an 18, which is not a huge increase, but it was an improvement. You did well in the other sections, so I'm sure it won't be too difficult for you to maintain those scores. It's a pain to study for it again, but it is easier the second time around. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

7. SeriousPreDent

5+ Year Member

does everyone at least agree that a AA 21 will get me some serious consideration from dental schools? I admit I was disappointed by my PAT score...but I'm starting to think that 21 AA isn't enough?!? Thanks for all the advice too.

8. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

If YOU don't feel comfortable with your scores... you can always re-take it. The point everyone is trying to tell you is, that your DAT is very exceptional. Even with that low PAT will not hinder your chances by much.

You should move on and focus on the coming cycle's application materials.

9. Jack Worthing

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think that's great advice to call the schools.

10. jes1ca

jes1ca OP Resident
    7+ Year Member

I think you'll be just grand.

Jessica

11. Fantasia

Fantasia Member
    7+ Year Member

Call the schools, but your AA is great and I really don't think your PAT score will hurt you very much. I'd just apply with those scores.