Anyone thinking about doing a 1-year masters program if not accepted this cycle?

Started by olivejuni
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

olivejuni

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would love to hear what people's plans are if they don't get in! Especially if you are thinking about doing a 1-year masters while applying again next cycle. What school are you thinking about for a master's, and why? If you feel like sharing, what's your undergraduate GPA? Any other thoughts and information welcome! I, myself, and taking post-baccalaureate courses as I apply this cycle, but am considering a master's if I'm not accepted. I'm mainly applying for DO schools. My cGPA is currently 3.44, and sGPA is 3.23. Thanks for sharing!
 
Well, I'm a non-trad so I'll just keep working.

I don't see a lot of value in master's programs unless you are getting it to have another career path. While master's GPA's do count for DO schools, if you wanted to throw in some MD schools next round, it won't help your GPA much. If you're looking to boost your GPA, it would be better to just take some more advanced level undergraduate courses.

There are benefits to getting a master's degree if it's in a field you like, you want to network with people, and you think it is something you want to pursue. But they are so expensive and it feels like every other applicant has a graduate degree I don't believe it adds as much value as it used to.
 
Well, I'm a non-trad so I'll just keep working.

I don't see a lot of value in master's programs unless you are getting it to have another career path. While master's GPA's do count for DO schools, if you wanted to throw in some MD schools next round, it won't help your GPA much. If you're looking to boost your GPA, it would be better to just take some more advanced level undergraduate courses.

There are benefits to getting a master's degree if it's in a field you like, you want to network with people, and you think it is something you want to pursue. But they are so expensive and it feels like every other applicant has a graduate degree I don't believe it adds as much value as it used to.
Good point. I'm also non-trad. I guess I just feel like I want to do something more if I need to take another year! But you're right, they are pricey and I could just continue taking post-bacc courses to keep boosting my GPA! Thanks for your thoughts 🙂 And good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In hindsight, the only way I’d consider a science master's is if there’s a strong linkage or the program offers a tuition waiver and stipend. As a non-science major, I felt that taking more than just the bare minimum prerequisites would better prepare me for medical school. I probably should’ve just found a job and taken more classes.
 
I would love to hear what people's plans are if they don't get in!

Podiatry if the cycle doesn't pan out (though so far one MD II and still waiting on 30 schools, so we'll see!!). No interest in an SMP...a lot of them are scams. Even Georgetown's SMP has a lot of students matriculate into DO or Carribean, which isn't mentioned in their statistics.

I'm working as a pharm tech till I move/matriculate somewhere next fall.
 
Podiatry if the cycle doesn't pan out (though so far one MD II and still waiting on 30 schools, so we'll see!!). No interest in an SMP...a lot of them are scams. Even Georgetown's SMP has a lot of students matriculate into DO or Carribean, which isn't mentioned in their statistics.

I'm working as a pharm tech till I move/matriculate somewhere next fall.
Congrats on the MD II, especially this early in the cycle! 🙂
 
After a failed cycle, I aced a Master's program, a major upward trend from my previous poor GPA. Doing well in the program also let me get 515+ on the MCAT. Now I am a couple months away from matching. Doing well in a Masters is definitely high risk/high reward, but it worked for me.
 
After a failed cycle, I aced a Master's program, a major upward trend from my previous poor GPA. Doing well in the program also let me get 515+ on the MCAT. Now I am a couple months away from matching. Doing well in a Masters is definitely high risk/high reward, but it worked for me.
Thanks for sharing! It's nice to see perspective from someone who actually went through and benefited from a master's program before med school.