Anyone took prerequisites at Community College??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitechapel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is that OK??

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's fine to take pre-reqs at a community college. I took medical terminology online through Santa Barbara City College.

How about the core science course, such as general biology, human anatomy & physiology??

Members don't see this ad :)
How about the core science course, such as general biology, human anatomy & physiology??

As much as possible try and take courses like anatomy and physio at a 4-year. However, schools understand that this is not always possible, especially for non-traditional students. Talk to the schools and I'm sure they can tell you if there is a specific course they want completed at a "4-year" level.

Just to give some perspective though, here are a list of courses I took at community colleges - I was offered an interview at pretty much every school I applied to, and accepted at UCSF, Shenandoah, and GWU.

Biology 1a (w/ lab)
Physics B (second half w/ lab)
Medical Terminology (online)
Intro to Psychology (online)
Abnormal Psychology (online)
Statistics (online)

I took about half of my pre-reqs at community college, including chemistry and anatomy/physiology.
It's generally not an issue but you need to check with the schools themselves.
for instance, Marquette will not accept any classes whatsoever from comm college, but they are the only school I ran across that is that way.
Some schools, such as Columbia, require an upper level Bio class which they will not accept from a comm college.

I took these courses at a community college:

A & P I & II
CHM I & II
PHY I & II
Statistics

and have gotten favorable results from DPT programs :) I think what matters most is that you obtain as many A's as possible in these core prerequisites. Only one school that I applied to "preferred" these courses be taken at a 4-year program, and I was accepted to that school. Save yourself some money and knock out those prerequisites at a community college unless the DPT program you want to go to absolutely requires they be taken at a university.

Good luck!

I took A&P 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2, Bio 1, and Physics 2 at community colleges, and still got into some great programs. Like track11, I got into a program that had stated on their website that all courses be taken at a 4-year university as well. It's definitely worth checking with each school to see what their requirements are.

I only took my second psych course and prob&stats online from a community college, but all my "core" classes at a 4-year university.

My personal anecdotes after taking 16 credits CC credit w/ pre-reqs.

I took my bio sequence (w/ lab), develop psy and med terminology during my summers (I didn't have money for exciting study abroad vacations lol). They were cheap because of student discount compiled with low rates and made room for my semesters to do take some other "enjoyable" academic classes.

I still took a very strong science sequence and went to a good state undergrad with higher-side GPA. I've seen excellent results so far, and few have questioned it. Just a little more information to hear-out before all the cards are down and chips put out on the table, til I know everything.

One regret is that if I ever get cold feet from PT, I will need to retake that bio I'd imagine to study for med. Guess I'll live since I'm still headed PT lol.