Vision34

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Hey guys,

I just took a practice exam from TopScore Pro. I was wondering if they calculate their standard scores differently than the real OAT. For example, I got 85% correct on the reading comprehension section, but it gave me a score of 310 (on other sections I received a lower percentage, but a higher standard score). Is this right?

luckyfool

SUNY Opt
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
I also used topscore pro for my OAT preparation. There's a 30-40 points in margin of error based on my experience. I score consistently around 330 in the software. My actual scores were mostly 30+ pts higher.

Why are you taking the test again?

Vision34

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Hey luckyfool- thanks for the reply! This will be my first time taking the OAT. I have a provisional acceptance to SUNY (I applied early decision), so I have up until February 28th to take the test. All of my practice scores are good except for physics, which I HOPE will go up on test day!

Also, if you don't mind, could you tell me if the TopScore physics questions were similar to the ones on test day? I am COMPLETELY freaking out about it

luckyfool

SUNY Opt
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
Hey luckyfool- thanks for the reply! This will be my first time taking the OAT. I have a provisional acceptance to SUNY (I applied early decision), so I have up until February 28th to take the test. All of my practice scores are good except for physics, which I HOPE will go up on test day!

Also, if you don't mind, could you tell me if the TopScore physics questions were similar to the ones on test day? I am COMPLETELY freaking out about it

I would think questions were very similar to the real OAT. I did pretty well on the physics section-370. Some questions on the real OAT were identical to the ones on topscore pro. Get around 330 or so on the software - then you'd do well pretty well on the actual exam.

About the Ads

jMoo

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
i used topscore as well and freaked out about my physics score. i was always scoring around 280-310. on the actual oat i got a 360. i felt the actual oat had more concepts and less math and deriving of eqns as opposed to topscore. the reading i found to be easier on topscore than the actual. perhaps it was just the reading material. it doesnt hurt to be over prepared though.

optoforme

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I took the TopScore too--i did 3 tests on there and it's true that they seem to lower your score a bit. I scored 250 on Reading Comp and know that is not right for I got a lot more right that what is reflective of a 250. :p I think Kaplan is a bit more accurate in the scaling, right?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.