anyone used Swanson for step3 prep?

Trisomy13

ultra
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2004
mountain home
  1. Attending Physician
    Could anyone tell me how time-effective to use Swanson for step3 preparation? thanks

i'll tell you tomorrow. i worked through certain sections of Swanson. probably made it through bout 70% of that monster (that book has 2000+ questions!).

i still feel totally overwhelmed and i'm t-minus 9 hours.

ugh.

if only i had some kind of secret HIDDEN GEM CD!!!

(i'm totally kidding about the CD)

Trisomy13

ultra
    15+ Year Member
    Apr 14, 2004
    mountain home
    1. Attending Physician
      ok.. day one finished.

Swanson's is actually a pretty reasonable approximation of the questions i was getting. my blocks were predominately comprised of outpatient medicine, and almost all the topics in swanson are in that style. the surgery, OB, peds, etc are all either follow-up visits or early symptoms requiring diagnosis prior to referral, etc.

i had 5 blocks of outpatient scenario, one ED, one inpatient block. the ED scenario was by far the worst, because some of the options were just vague... as someone else said in a different thread you can be staring at options A-E thinking.. well i'd do F - the correct answer - if it were listed. :laugh:

i hope tomorrow is even easier than today, because when the smoke settled, today was easier than Step 2, in my opinion. Not quite "bring a #2 pencil" like the old adage proclaims, but not a real migraine-inducing "here are some obscure diseases from every discipline... go!" scene like Step 2.

my advice - review the Epidemiology section in Swanson if only to memorize the sensitivity/specificity equations (easy gimmes on any of these exams). review the IM sections, maybe the peds/OB too.

good luck

About the Ads

Trisomy13

ultra
      15+ Year Member
      Apr 14, 2004
      mountain home
      1. Attending Physician
        second day was more of the same, although i felt there were more "wtf are they getting at??" questions on day 2. this could be entirely due to me being tired from day 1. i definitely had a hard time staying awake through the 4 shorter blocks on day 2. auditory hypnagogic hallucinations galore.

the cases were simple and straightforward. i think i completely blew one that in retrospect was likely sarcoidosis (after 11 million times seeing classic sarcoidosis on practice questions, i miss it on a case!). some others were just cake - normal pregnancy, child abuse, etc.

after all is said and done, i can say with certainty that i definitely either passed or failed it. ;)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.