LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Sep 9, 2004
Status
  1. Attending Physician
VERY FEASIBLE. like so feasible I would say there is a 99.98% probability that digi is the future of anatomic path.

Jul 28, 2004
Status
It seems feasible, but I think the jury is still out on the amount of value it adds, despite the initial cost. If you could 1) Do remote frozens for distant hospitals and expand your market or in the future 2) Get AI that helped you make a diagnosis easier/quicker, then I could see a potential use case. However, it's still cheaper to push glass and these systems do not replace glass. We've not found a good way to justify the cost or angst of bringing it in yet.

About the Ads

LADoc00

Sep 9, 2004
Status
  1. Attending Physician
the value? If the difference is between paying an entire another FTE OR having digital and beaming the cases to beach or the snow, even if it the cost is a 150K set up, your ROI is mere months.

I think digi will KILL demand for new pathologists coming out of training though. Even with this big wave of retirements, if you arent a "made pathologist" by now, you are looking at a drop in new staff pay as a result IMO.

Reactions: sloh
Dec 23, 2015
the value? If the difference is between paying an entire another FTE OR having digital and beaming the cases to beach or the snow, even if it the cost is a 150K set up, your ROI is mere months.

I think digi will KILL demand for new pathologists coming out of training though. Even with this big wave of retirements, if you arent a "made pathologist" by now, you are looking at a drop in new staff pay as a result IMO.
Echoing this, programs expanding or maintaining large resident rosters reflects very poor forward planning.

Digital will cause mega consolidation, leading to a significant contraction of the workforce. Lots of these pathologists will be unemployed.

Much of what allows isolated rural groups to persist is the isolation. If you park a scanner there instead, the images can be sent to fewer pathologists elsewhere.

I would love to double my caseload and sign it out from a more comfortable location with a nice view. Digital would give me this option.

LADoc00

Sep 9, 2004
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Yah so many pathologists are so poorly utilized now in terms of throughput volume productivity that once digi takes off I dont think the field will need the bottom 20-25% of professionals. Things like locums will simply vanish.

Now do I see telepath corporations being a thing? Jury still out, all the companies Ive spoken with including Teledoc are not currently at all interested.

I think digi is the most significant change in the field in my lifetime. I think it will lead to a 2nd mass force reduction of residency programs similar to what happened in the 80s. May take some time though.

caffeinegirl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2000
The Belt
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Digital pathology is here to stay. There is significant venture capital funding into several digital pathology companies at the moment - and AI is just around the corner.
For practical aspects of digital pathology, check out the Digital Pathology Association
CAP also has guidelines for validation on their website.

Dec 23, 2015
Digital pathology is here to stay. There is significant venture capital funding into several digital pathology companies at the moment - and AI is just around the corner.
For practical aspects of digital pathology, check out the Digital Pathology Association
CAP also has guidelines for validation on their website.
Where can one find the venture capital interest in this?

Oct 24, 2019
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Meh, I have been doing both digital and traditional for the past year, and what stands out to me is how much slower digital is. Unless the interface improves to the level of a slide on a stage in terms of speed, there is a limit to how much digital pathology can improve efficiency. If you want to double your caseload with digital, you are going to triple or quadruple the amount of time you are working.

Dec 16, 2010
Status
  1. Non-Student
You think pathology sucks now, wait until there are national venture capital backed outfits doing remote sign out. Just ask radiology about working for Aris and others.

Lot of obgyns and derms getting bought out by VC in my area. If it isn't a hospital, it is VC buyouts. Most of them have their own laboratories that they are forcing the specimens to.

LADoc00

Sep 9, 2004
Status
  1. Attending Physician
So the VC focus is on AI and not consolidation of practices?

Google is not going to run pathology practices. Tech is interested in SELLING crap, they dont like or what actual humans including patients or pathologists.

AI still is a LONG way off, it will come one day but they have been beating the Path AI drum for now 20+ years with zero real results.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads