anyone w/ license but not working in pharmacy field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the saturations I 'm curious to see if anyone that has a pharmacy degree but currently is working a non pharmacy related job.

Members don't see this ad.

Me. I have a home-based business.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me. I have a home-based business.

Me too, only practice for few years , then switch.

my hours got cut at the retain chain i work at so they can give it to all the new grads they hired

so i actually work as a waiter/server at a local pho restaurant part time

So why did you guys switch and are you guys happy with your changes?

Well, I was disappointed at the type of job that a pharmacist does at that time eg. no need to make use of the knowledge that was learnt. and it's so robotic that it can be replaced by a robot /or a tech. I guess now the nature of a pharmacist job has expanded and can provide higher job satisfaction . Anyway, I changed gear and pretty contended with what I am doing now even it run a higher risk of getting assaulted.

my hours got cut at the retain chain i work at so they can give it to all the new grads they hired

so i actually work as a waiter/server at a local pho restaurant part time

Maybe you should give tips on how to secure a waitressing job to the other pharmacist on here who is looking for waitressing jobs

Maybe you should give tips on how to secure a waitressing job to the other pharmacist on here who is looking for waitressing jobs
I'm also in that situation. Please do explain how you interview/ prepare for those positions. How much income can you expect to make typically?

I wish I were kidding. I am truly asking. I should not have become a pharmacist. If I could have predicted this, I would never have gone.

Last edited:
Hey don't bartenders in nyc make $50/hr anyway ? Sparda I'm surprised you don't have that as your backup plan!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey don't bartenders in nyc make $50/hr anyway ? Sparda I'm surprised you don't have that as your backup plan!

I guess if you're an attractive female who can converse with strangers, you can pull in serious cash as a bartender. One of my friends who I'd say is a pretty good looking guy worked at a gay bar and made decent money. Usually $200-250/night in cash on average and $400-500/night on the weekends, and his highest rake for one night was like $3000.

Personally for me, as a side job I am starting to get into skydiving. I wanna eventually be a skydiving instructor.

It's always good to have other sources of income beside pharmacy for backup. You never know if your job is safe or not in near future. Like Robert Kiyosaki said, if you're living solely on your job, you're playing with fire.

my ex wife - and I am very happy with the change

oh wait, we were talking about jobs

this is extremely sad to be seen by pre-pharmacy I guess...
It is very sad. The one job in pharmacy I found they cut my hours to 0 to make room for the new grads, been jobless ever since. I had some interns who were worried themselves that they wouldn't be able to find a job, so the word has gotten out. I think it's better to tell the truth unlike what some of the pharmacy schools are doing.

It is very sad. The one job in pharmacy I found they cut my hours to 0 to make room for the new grads, been jobless ever since. I had some interns who were worried themselves that they wouldn't be able to find a job, so the word has gotten out. I think it's better to tell the truth unlike what some of the pharmacy schools are doing.

Now would be a good time to find some seasonal work at the mall. A job is better than nothing at all.

Don't take this the wrong way, but employers don't reduce your hours to give to new grads just to save them some pennies. It takes them more money and time to train someone new and to be good at their job. There were other reasons why they let you go. The sooner you realize it, the sooner you will be able to recognize what you've done wrong and improve from it. I've worked with pharmacists who truly believe they are the hardest/best workers when in reality, nobody wants to work with them. They are very out of touch with reality and very oblivious to their surroundings. You have to re-evaluate why you were let go, and trust me, it was not to give new grads the hours.

And WHEN you do score a job interview... Don't blame your former employer for your jobless situation. Don't say they cut your hours to give to new grads. Don't blame the job market. Don't blame new schools. Just focus on yourself and what you can offer them. I do hope things will get better for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't take this the wrong way, but employers don't reduce your hours to give to new grads just to save them some pennies.

:lol:

It takes them more money and time to train :shrug:someone new and to be good at their job. :whistle:

Now would be a good time to find some seasonal work at the mall. A job is better than nothing at all.

Don't take this the wrong way, but employers don't reduce your hours to give to new grads just to save them some pennies. It takes them more money and time to train someone new and to be good at their job. There were other reasons why they let you go. The sooner you realize it, the sooner you will be able to recognize what you've done wrong and improve from it. I've worked with pharmacists who truly believe they are the hardest/best workers when in reality, nobody wants to work with them. They are very out of touch with reality and very oblivious to their surroundings. You have to re-evaluate why you were let go, and trust me, it was not to give new grads the hours.

And WHEN you do score a job interview... Don't blame your former employer for your jobless situation. Don't say they cut your hours to give to new grads. Don't blame the job market. Don't blame new schools. Just focus on yourself and what you can offer them. I do hope things will get better for you.
Pointing one finger forward and three back? You spot it you got it? Ring any bells?

Tell me where is the US does this Utopian workforce exist?

Love your last line disclaimer. :barf:

Pointing one finger forward and three back? You spot it you got it? Ring any bells?

Tell me where is the US does this Utopian workforce exist?

Love your last line disclaimer. :barf:
I'm sorry, but are you mental?

Reactions: 2 users

R xxx I totally want to work with you. You sound like such a nice person to be with! It's not like your full of yourself or go around insulting strangers you don't even know. Yes they can hire new grads for cheaper and they are already trained, most of them were interns already with the company. If anyone reading this doesn't believe the job situation, call 40 pharmacies and ask if there are any openings.

Terminated from Walgreens AND CVS over BS reasons...now I work at a law enforcement and gun store and can't pay my $900/mo student loans.
Yes my license is in good standing in 2 states. Can't get an interview.
Wish I'd never went to Rx school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I'm still looking... But I'm thinking about going into another career, not sure what yet though.