anyone want to get an online study group going (September takers)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leonardoson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just figured we could all help each other out, answer questions and all that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just figured we could all help each other out, answer questions and all that.
Hello Leonardoson, I’m scheduled to take September 19 MCAT, and could use some motivation, accountability, etc...Using TBR, EK mainly. I think this is a great idea

Hello Leonardoson, I’m scheduled to take September 19 MCAT, and could use some motivation, accountability, etc...Using TBR, EK mainly. I think this is a great idea
That's my day as well, I have the same materials but I'm focusing on TBR mainly. Join the group me since it's already set up

Members don't see this ad :)
That's my day as well, I have the same materials but I'm focusing on TBR mainly. Join the group me since it's already set up
I have joined,thanks! I still have a lot to cover In those books, steady pounding the Bio 1&2, and trying to stay fresh on content

i'm a september taker too........... new kaplan, old EK and alot of supplementary material (dummies, plastic cards - barcharts?)

i'm going to back to EK almost exclusively and then look stuff up in kaplan/dummies/textbooks..........

i love kaplan's reviews at end of each chapter but i notice there are 1) no formula - although they have later formula page, 2) more importantly, no diagrams. and i can see this as somewhere people get tripped up. this is purely hypothetical but i question how well someone with reasonable background, no studying and kaplan summary pages could do. i would have thought well but probably not

i'm a september taker too........... new kaplan, old EK and alot of supplementary material (dummies, plastic cards - barcharts?)

i'm going to back to EK almost exclusively and then look stuff up in kaplan/dummies/textbooks..........

i love kaplan's reviews at end of each chapter but i notice there are 1) no formula - although they have later formula page, 2) more importantly, no diagrams. and i can see this as somewhere people get tripped up. this is purely hypothetical but i question how well someone with reasonable background, no studying and kaplan summary pages could do. i would have thought well but probably not
I dont think they would do well personally unless they have extensive scientific reasoning experience and great reading comprehension. The passages that involve interpreting data from plots and tables quickly while using outside knowledge take skill in themselves and some getting used to.

thx for the response........ and when i said reasonable background, no/little studying and kaplan summaries, i meant "open book" on the kaplan, which i think you realized...

i almost wish the kaplan summaries would elaborate on some info and cut some of the rest off........

i think a good product would be something where you can analyze the MCAT info on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of detailedness.. i wonder if the ANKI cards would help with that.

i've been trying to figure out the different dynamics of the content.... i see that Kaplan grades the exam weight of each chapter

here are the most important ones....... note that kaplan's chapters are different than EK. EK has far fewer chapters in general

biochem (12 total chapters):
amino acids, peptide, proteins - 20% of BC content
enzymes -16%
DNA and biotech 12
rna and genetic code 15
bioenergetics and reg. of metabolism 11

physics (9 chapters):
fluids 16% of physics
circuits 16%

behavioural (12 chapters):

learning and memory 16%
nothing else big but brain is i think in another book too... brain will be very important.

other 3 books aren't handy

Last edited:
biology 12 chapters,

cell 18
reproduction 10
nervous system 13
genetics and evolution 13

interestingly, respiratory system is 2%.... other body systems range from 5% to 9%

can't find my kaplan organic chem book right now

do they ever ask about terminology in the CARS section? i.e. does this sentence demonstrate logos, ethos or pathos? (sorry if i over-abreviated the terms)... or do they just ask you to use the knowledge from the CARS section?

organic chemistry (12 chapters)

isomer 14
alcohol 14
carboxylic acid 10
spectroscopy 8
separations and purifications 20 (surprises me, seems like one of the easiest chapters)...

note that chapter 1 (nomenclature.... 4%) should be considered building block so probably more important than stated weight... other early chapters in other subjects probably similar

Hey, for you all that are taking the test in August or possibly September, do you plan on applying this cycle? For those taking the test in September what are your thoughts on applying late in the cycle? I recently decided to push my test back.

Hey, for you all that are taking the test in August or possibly September, do you plan on applying this cycle? For those taking the test in September what are your thoughts on applying late in the cycle? I recently decided to push my test back.
I'm applying next cycle. There's a lot of info on this site about the negative of applying too late. I would be cautious