Anyone want to trade Personal statements?

Started by CatPartay
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CatPartay

Ross 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Let me know if anyone wants to trade personal statements/essays. I have written mine about 10 times and at the pulling out my hair point! LOL
I just need some feedback from other students. Thanks!
 
This is probably a really stupid question, but what exactly is the topic for the personal statement? Is it just a very open-ended personal statement where they want us to talk about ourselves, or is there are actual question?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is probably a really stupid question, but what exactly is the topic for the personal statement? Is it just a very open-ended personal statement where they want us to talk about ourselves, or is there are actual question?

Not a stupid question at all. Hard to write a personal statement without knowing the answer.

As of last year:

Personal Statement (MANDATORY)
Your personal statement should be written clearly and succinctly - 5000 characters (including spaces) have been allotted for your statement.

Discuss briefly the development of your interest in veterinary medicine. Discuss those activities and unique experiences that have contributed to your preparation for a professional program. Discuss your understanding of the veterinary medical profession, and discuss your career goals and objectives.

I haven't logged into this year's version so I couldn't tell you if it's changed. Even if it has, I doubt it would suddenly become more specific.

I'd take those instructions both seriously and with a grain of salt at the same time. Put differently, I'd look for the 'spirit' of the topic and not the 'letter' of the question. While you want to touch on all the topics they mention in one way or another, don't lose sight of the big picture - selling yourself.

Some schools will have supplemental applications that have add'l essay topics. I've only seen one school's questions, but they were quite a bit more specific.
 
This is probably a really stupid question, but what exactly is the topic for the personal statement? Is it just a very open-ended personal statement where they want us to talk about ourselves, or is there are actual question?

IMO, the personal statement (PS) can be about whatever you want it to be about, so long as it portrays you in a positive light to the Adcoms. Many popular topics include things like, what I learned about vet med, why I want to be a vet, and/or why I am qualified to be a vet student and thus a vet. The biggest piece of advice I would give regarding a PS is to back up every claim or point you make with a concrete example.

I.E. - Don't just say - I have always wanted to be a veterinarian in a zoological setting ever since I was a kid. Instead put something like - I developed a great interest in zoological medicine after working under the gudiance of an ACZM diplomate at xxxx zoo.
 
IMO, the personal statement (PS) can be about whatever you want it to be about, so long as it portrays you in a positive light to the Adcoms. Many popular topics include things like, what I learned about vet med, why I want to be a vet, and/or why I am qualified to be a vet student and thus a vet. The biggest piece of advice I would give regarding a PS is to back up every claim or point you make with a concrete example.

That's good advice. I've read a bunch of personal statements where the writer asserted something about himself ("I am an innovator.") but failed to provide any support ("I am an innovator. While at ... I did ...").

You can't just claim to have certain qualities you think they'll like. You have to back it up.