You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anyone who insured your body parts here?
Started by TianjinNVhai
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No, besides standard disability, and it's the brain that fails first for most of us , except those who never had one to begin with...
Boards gone to ****
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read this is "anybody who injured your body parts here"
I let out a good belly laugh.
I let out a good belly laugh.
No, besides standard disability, and it's the brain that fails first for most of us , except those who never had one to begin with...
If there's such a thing as "brain failure" I think spending 4 years and 150-200k for a pharmd should automatically qualify for an insurance payout
If there's such a thing as "brain failure" I think spending 4 years and 150-200k for a pharmd should automatically qualify for an insurance payout
That would be a novel claim...Working as a PIC might be another.
More seriously, buying incident insurance (body part, one-off activity, etc.) is pretty pricey. An orthopedic surgeon who is quite well-known in the Minnesota (specifically Mayo) community bought performance insurance on himself as he had becoming a boxer in his spare time was insured by MetLife. But then again, he was doing it for charity, so the rate was less than the industry standard but it was still something around $85k a year.
Wait.... What???
I think it’s mainly your brain that needs insuring, the rest can be worked around with accommodations especially in pharmacy where you’re not needing to perform procedures requiring full vision and hearing and manual dexterity. A decent own-profession LTD policy should cover all of the above, anyway.
Yes, I have extra insurance for eyes,hands, feet.
I have seen pharmacists lose their sight or become disabled and lose a leg .
I had lasik eye surgery in 2001. Massive inflammation and couldn’t see enough to drive or work. Thought I was never gonna see normally again . I was off work 3 months.
Aside... due to the Union I was the rph that got Walgreens to change their policy about paying disability insurance for LASIK complications, bc of course I had to be first person in entire company this happened to. They didn’t pay me the entire 3 months I was off and that’s after being with company 17 years at that point. After three months of arguing we threatened to take them to federal court and told them we would essentially go to public . They wound up having to settle for more $$$ than original salary bc they were idiots. They originally could have paid themselves or through their insurance company, but wound up playing hardball. Just threw in this story for amusement purposes and to illustrate the importance of having a union lawyer going to bat for you.
Retail nowadays is not going to accommodate you even though it’s the law. They will find a reason to get rid of you for something else .
For a few bucks a month, pretax dollars you might as well get an extra $250,000-500,000 if something happens . Especially if you are breadwinner in family .
I have seen pharmacists lose their sight or become disabled and lose a leg .
I had lasik eye surgery in 2001. Massive inflammation and couldn’t see enough to drive or work. Thought I was never gonna see normally again . I was off work 3 months.
Aside... due to the Union I was the rph that got Walgreens to change their policy about paying disability insurance for LASIK complications, bc of course I had to be first person in entire company this happened to. They didn’t pay me the entire 3 months I was off and that’s after being with company 17 years at that point. After three months of arguing we threatened to take them to federal court and told them we would essentially go to public . They wound up having to settle for more $$$ than original salary bc they were idiots. They originally could have paid themselves or through their insurance company, but wound up playing hardball. Just threw in this story for amusement purposes and to illustrate the importance of having a union lawyer going to bat for you.
Retail nowadays is not going to accommodate you even though it’s the law. They will find a reason to get rid of you for something else .
For a few bucks a month, pretax dollars you might as well get an extra $250,000-500,000 if something happens . Especially if you are breadwinner in family .
No.
But have STD (short term disability for you punny puckers), LTD, and life policies in place.
But have STD (short term disability for you punny puckers), LTD, and life policies in place.
I have whole life permanent life insurance. And it has been longer than two years so my policy now covers suicide and other mental health events. Life insurance helps me sleep better at night knowing that if my life is unexpectedly completed at least there will be some positives from it. I highly recommend it to anyone with anxiety or depression.Eyes, hands, legs, the most essential body parts for working as a pharmacist?
Yes, I have extra insurance for eyes,hands, feet.
I have seen pharmacists lose their sight or become disabled and lose a leg .
I had lasik eye surgery in 2001. Massive inflammation and couldn’t see enough to drive or work. Thought I was never gonna see normally again . I was off work 3 months.
Aside... due to the Union I was the rph that got Walgreens to change their policy about paying disability insurance for LASIK complications, bc of course I had to be first person in entire company this happened to. They didn’t pay me the entire 3 months I was off and that’s after being with company 17 years at that point. After three months of arguing we threatened to take them to federal court and told them we would essentially go to public . They wound up having to settle for more $$$ than original salary bc they were idiots. They originally could have paid themselves or through their insurance company, but wound up playing hardball. Just threw in this story for amusement purposes and to illustrate the importance of having a union lawyer going to bat for you.
Retail nowadays is not going to accommodate you even though it’s the law. They will find a reason to get rid of you for something else .
For a few bucks a month, pretax dollars you might as well get an extra $250,000-500,000 if something happens . Especially if you are breadwinner in family .
To be fair i think A pharamicst could work fine without legs as long as you had those Pistorious leg blade thingys. You could make due with one hand and one eye fairly easily as well.
To be fair i think A pharamicst could work fine without legs as long as you had those Pistorious leg blade thingys. You could make due with one hand and one eye fairly easily as well.
I agree... a legless pharmacist could work. How about no legs and 1 arm? A “legless, missing arm pharmacist”. Or better yet - an “arm pharmacist”.
Seriously though - I may have to look into this. I want to insure my body parts now.
Ok - it took me a bit of research but I figured it out. One of the only reputable firms that does this is called - Lloyd’s of London -
Alright guys/gals let’s do this.
Going out on a limb - body parts and others - Lloyd's - The world’s specialist insurance market. Also known as Lloyd's of London; is a market where members join together as syndicates to insure risks.
Alright guys/gals let’s do this.
Going out on a limb - body parts and others - Lloyd's - The world’s specialist insurance market. Also known as Lloyd's of London; is a market where members join together as syndicates to insure risks.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree, general disability is all that is needed, why would you pay extra to insure a specific body part?
In 5-10 years the model for retail pharmacy is going to become 1 pharmacist remote verifying for 5 pharmacies each from their home or the office setting so any sort of disability insurance/work conditions lawsuits will become a moot point altogether.
Standard AD&D coverage (dirt cheap) has specific amounts for hands, legs, eyes, feet, etc... in accidents only.
Better disability coverage will cover loss of "own occupation" even if you're still able to do other work in an unrelated field.
Better disability coverage will cover loss of "own occupation" even if you're still able to do other work in an unrelated field.