Anyone who loved obgyn but didn't pursue it? What did you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgamon8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
I was in a similar situation in that I really enjoyed OB. I loved the combination of medicine and surgery and that I could work procedures into my practice. I did really well during the rotation and on the shelf exam. At the end of the day, I had a "come to Jesus" moment and had a heart-to-heart conversation with myself. Something I prize very much is a schedule; predictable and regular. And I knew that would never be the case with OB. In the end I matched to a family medicine program that is unopposed and happens to be very "full-scope" oriented. So, in a way, I got to have my cake and eat it too.

Reactions: 2 users
I did. Went to FM though

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Loved my OB/GYN rotation, but realized it was just the OR that I liked (it was my first clinical rotation).

I went into General Surgery.

There are OB fellowships for FM. I’m not sure if it will get you to the full scope of OB/GYN with surgeries & everything, but it might be something to look into to get more OB skills.

If you really enjoyed the gyn aspect of ob/gyn, I think fm does a lot of that, especially in rural areas.

I wanted to do REI for a hot minute.

I don't know about the possibility of procedures, but have you looked into the Women's health programs in IM residencies?

I enjoyed Ob/gyn but didn’t like the lifestyle and hours. So I chose the closest thing—ophthalmology.
That’s right, it’s not a typo. It’s the closest to Ob/gyn because you take care of all the medical AND surgical aspects of a particular system/anatomical area. No other field does that. There’s a division between medical/surgical care in virtually every other field. I do realize that a poor Step 1 makes it a difficult field to enter, but i gave you my reasoning for my comparison

Last edited:
I enjoyed Ob/gyn but didn’t like the lifestyle and hours. So I chose the closest thing—ophthalmology.
That’s right, it’s not a typo. It’s the closest to Ob/gyn because you take care of all the medical AND surgical aspects of a particular system/anatomical area. No other field does that. There’s a division between medical/surgical care in virtually every other field. I do realize that a poor Step 1 makes it a difficult field to enter, but i gave you my reasoning for my comparison
Yeah I know optho is totally out of my reach. But I see how the appeal for both align. I liked that clinic primary care kinda vibe but not taking care of every problem and then procedural aspect.

I think FM is so flexible you cannot leave it off the table. If you don't like the caseload you can do a boutique/concierge practice where you don't take medicaid, only medicare/private, charge a yearly membership fee, and have a fantastic time.

ENT and urology would like a word.

Reactions: 2 users
Love my OBGYN rotation, Im applying peds. I realized the thing I loved was delivering the babies, and the family relationships that were developed over a pregnancy. You get that more in peds. The clinic with pelvic exams bored me to be honest. And I only liked the OR if there was a baby, not the other procedures.

Love my OBGYN rotation, Im applying peds. I realized the thing I loved was delivering the babies, and the family relationships that were developed over a pregnancy. You get that more in peds. The clinic with pelvic exams bored me to be honest. And I only liked the OR if there was a baby, not the other procedures.
you mean you didn't enjoy suturing for 20 minutes after every c-section?

I love OB and chose a full scope FM. I hate the OR and actually enjoy taking care of all different ages and problems. It really is the best of both worlds. I have 0 regrets about choosing FM

I fell in love with obgyn on rotation and ended up applying… obgyn! At the end of the day, if your schedule is a cushy 9-5 but you are miserable with what you’re doing, it doesn’t matter that the hours are predictable. I’d rather be called in at 3am once in a while to do something I love than do something I hate all the time.