anyone with a november completion date get interview at yale?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just checking to see if yale is up to interviewing applicants completed in november yet.

people completed in october or earlier that haven't heard anything need not reply.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In review November 2, but no word yet.

:confused:

Anyone else?

ah, then all is still right. i am waiting for order to be restored to the universe_ this will occur when yale gives me my f*cking interview.

i know they're up to oct. 30.
dont think they've penetrated the novembers yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
just bumpin. :cool:

bump. anyone yet?

Complete 11/25, still no word.
I think Jessica is the only November person I've heard of who has gotten a Yale interview.

The Yale page says I was complete 12/18, so I must be a freak of nature (?? I have no explanation for the actions of the Yale adcom. perhaps they are collaborating with AMCAS and are just using me so that I can torture all of the applicants that were complete in November - conspiracy theory :eek: ! I know that this probably makes zero sense.... I have been at work since 8 am yesterday so I am totally delirious... I hate it when people call in sick!! but I am trying to make this a positive experience by thinking of it as good practice for residency - I am being hopeful here - ) Anyways - Yale is non-rolling... so don't freak out just yet (I know, easy for me to say...) But just think, you have all of this extra time to practice for your Yale interview (b/c I am sure that you will get one) and then you can really wow your interviewers. You have a competitive edge ;)

Yale admissions committee are on vacation until 1/7/02... Yale was a great place, the med students were so happy and relaxed, it was unbelievable. I really believe in the Yale System.

Complete Nov 9, Sent to review Dec 10, received regular MD interview today Jan 09 via email.

BTW I had already mailed a note a few days ago to withdraw my apps. I guess our signals crossed.

I was complete on Dec. 4, and I have heard nothing. It looks completely random to me... I would think they would have to get their act together pretty quickly... If they are still dealing with November completions, they are running out of time.

I was hoping I would hear this week. I suppose there are still two days left. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I should add that part of the reason I am so anxious is that Yale was the first app I sent in, and was the first one to be complete, so I'm hoping that it'll be my first interview. :D To those of you sitting on multiple acceptances, that might seem a bit shocking, but I am a procrastinator. :D

Turned in Nov. 26, app complete Nov. 30, interview invite Jan. 7.

Mine was complete 12/3 and received MD interview 12/8. Again, they seem to be pretty random and they are non-rolling so hang in there.

whoops, received interview invite 1/8.

i would just like to say that after being in review since nov.1, my check dated 10/4 has YET TO BE CASHED!!! yale seems to be one of those schools that interviews a lot and accepts a small proportion, so i was somewhat confident that i would get an interview there (as my stats are better than their averages and i really spent a lot of time on the secondary essay). i dont know what the hell they are doing with my application, but i have just about given up on them. too bad, they were pretty high on my list. my only hope is that the fact that my check hasn't been cashed may mean that they have yet to look at my file. argh. also, i am somewhat comforted by the fact that people completed in dec. are hearing when they have a good 2.5 months of interviewing left. whatever. congrats to all that have heard. oh well, i should be happy with the interviews i have gotten so far.

Choker I wish I was in your position. I've been complete and in review since August! Yale is my #1 choice, but I'm slowly beginning to feel that it'll never materialize...

Choker, does it say that your app is complete on the website. I had problems with other schools where I assumed they had received everything to only later call and find out they hadn't received either payment, recs, or even found my recs in their stack.

I really wonder what their method is of giving out interviews... I mean, why would people complete mid-December be getting interviews ahead of those complete in August?? I know Yale is non-rolling, so it's not a huge difference, but still? Do they just have a giant draw bin, and reach in their every morning to decide which apps they're going to review??

I suppose I shouldn't be complaining since my app wasn't complete until Dec. 4th, but still...

Well my application has been in review since Sept. 17. I am thinking my interview/reject letter is lost in the mail, or my application is being used as somebody's coaster.

Do you think I should call/email them? Is three months too long? I also haven't heard word back from Harvard, Hopkins, Wash U in St. Louis, and UCLA/Drew. All my apps, secondaries, etc were complete mid-September.

I bet terrorists hijacked my career.

Gosh I'm realllly hoping i was put in the hold pile and not reject pile. I just spoke to a kind soul at yale and all she could say - she seemed to be taking her time to figure out how to word what she was going to say - was my application was still in review and was complete. To me that sounded like a rejection right there, then she tried to reassure me by saying that the school will be interviewing all the way up until mid-March. This is torture!

I posted this on another thread, but I was complete on 11/25, and got my interview invite on 1/3. However, there were people whose applications were complete well after mine that got interviews before me, so it's not as if they are looking at them in the order they were complete.

Choker, that's pretty strange about them not even cashing your check. That's usually the first thing they do.

I am amazed why some people believe that they will get an interview at Yale for sure. The matter of fact is if you don't an interview invitation from them by now, then they are probably not that interested in your application. The general rule (no matter if the school is rolling or non-rolling) is that the earlier you interview, the better. Why would it be otherwise? And the invitations that are sent in the mail right now probably aim to fill some of the interview spots in February already.

Some people are speculating that the order they invite people to interview is very random and think that Yale simply picks people out of the hat. Well, another more plausible explanation is that maybe Yale just happens to like some of the applicants who submit app's in Dec. more so than some of the ones who submitted their app's earlier than that!

And if you are concerned that your interview invitation letter is lost in the mail, call them immediately! I don't see why you should take a chance.

And no, Yale would not give you the rejection yet even if they don't like your app at this point. Well these are my opinions, without beating around the bush.

Originally posted by Thewonderer:
•I am amazed why some people believe that they will get an interview at Yale for sure. The matter of fact is if you don't an interview invitation from them by now, then they are probably not that interested in your application. The general rule (no matter if the school is rolling or non-rolling) is that the earlier you interview, the better. Why would it be otherwise? And the invitations that are sent in the mail right now probably aim to fill some of the interview spots in February already.

Some people are speculating that the order they invite people to interview is very random and think that Yale simply picks people out of the hat. Well, another more plausible explanation is that maybe Yale just happens to like some of the applicants who submit app's in Dec. more so than some of the ones who submitted their app's earlier than that!

And if you are concerned that your interview invitation letter is lost in the mail, call them immediately! I don't see why you should take a chance.

And no, Yale would not give you the rejection yet even if they don't like your app at this point. Well these are my opinions, without beating around the bush.•••

sorry I couldn't resist, after looking at your name, do you have any relation to "TheBeyonder?"

:D

you are completely wrong. every one of my friends that interviewed at yale was repeatedly told that it doesn't matter when you interview and they give no preference to those they interview early. also, you know nothing about yale; they send invites via email. the fact is that they actually DO pick out applications almost at random and see who gets interview. have you ever seen a med school admissions office? it's just a mess of applications all over the place. they give out a bunch to a bunch of different people, and depending on how fast that person gets through them, that determines who gets an interview when. it's not that the more desirable applicants get interviewed earlier; you go to any school and a large proportion of applicants will tell you that they interviewed in the spring and this year that proportion will definately go up.

even if you are trying to be blunt and helpful, we are not stupid. those of us frantically checking our email every other minute and hanging on to that tired, wavering bit of hope that tomorrow will be the day only to be disappointed EVERY SINGLE NIGHT FOR THE PAST FEW MONTHS

you are completely wrong. every one of my friends that interviewed at yale was repeatedly told that it doesn't matter when you interview and they give no preference to those they interview early, and interviews are NOT given out to more desirable candidates first. also, you know nothing about yale; they send invites via email. the fact is that they actually DO pick out applications almost at random and see who gets interview. have you ever seen a med school admissions office? it's just a mess of applications all over the place. they give out a bunch to a bunch of different people, and depending on how fast that person gets through them, that determines who gets an interview when. it's not that the more desirable applicants get interviewed earlier; you go to any school and a large proportion of applicants will tell you that they interviewed in the spring and this year that proportion will definately go up.

even if you are trying to be blunt and helpful, we are not stupid. those of us frantically checking our email every other minute and hanging on to that tired, wavering bit of hope that tomorrow will be the day only to be disappointed EVERY SINGLE NIGHT FOR THE PAST FEW MONTHS have already considered the worst case scenario and we dont need your so-called reality check. and besides, like i said, your facts are wrong.

dont you dare take away our hope; it's all we have.

Originally posted by E'01:
•Choker I wish I was in your position. I've been complete and in review since August! Yale is my #1 choice, but I'm slowly beginning to feel that it'll never materialize...•••

y wont you write them a letter pleading your request...hello, I mean it doesnt hurt yalester ;)

Originally posted by choker:
•you are completely wrong. every one of my friends that interviewed at yale was repeatedly told that it doesn't matter when you interview and they give no preference to those they interview early. also, you know nothing about yale; they send invites via email. the fact is that they actually DO pick out applications almost at random and see who gets interview. have you ever seen a med school admissions office? it's just a mess of applications all over the place. they give out a bunch to a bunch of different people, and depending on how fast that person gets through them, that determines who gets an interview when. it's not that the more desirable applicants get interviewed earlier; you go to any school and a large proportion of applicants will tell you that they interviewed in the spring and this year that proportion will definately go up.

even if you are trying to be blunt and helpful, we are not stupid. those of us frantically checking our email every other minute and hanging on to that tired, wavering bit of hope that tomorrow will be the day only to be disappointed EVERY SINGLE NIGHT FOR THE PAST FEW MONTHS•••

JEEEZ dude take it easy, you sound so bitter, you've gotten interviews at Pitt, Columbia and Cornell.....take it easy, it's not like your dream of getting into medical school has been crushed.....
:rolleyes:

well if a bunch of apps were given to some procrastinating adcom member at yale who hasn't gotten to ours yet, or may not even be going in chronological order, then it doesn't sound so bad that people like choker (and me, damnit) have not heard anything. BUT, yale is does save all their rejections for march or april right? so just to state the obvious for the shear fun of it--this silence could be good or bad.

Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit:

y wont you write them a letter pleading your request...hello, I mean it doesnt hurt yalester ;) •••

Been there done that. I called yesterday but they haven't received it. Oh, and I don't beg for interviews...if they like me, they'll gimme one, otherwise I'll get over it. ;)

Originally posted by Thewonderer:
•I am amazed why some people believe that they will get an interview at Yale for sure. The matter of fact is if you don't an interview invitation from them by now, then they are probably not that interested in your application. The general rule (no matter if the school is rolling or non-rolling) is that the earlier you interview, the better. Why would it be otherwise? And the invitations that are sent in the mail right now probably aim to fill some of the interview spots in February already.

And no, Yale would not give you the rejection yet even if they don't like your app at this point. Well these are my opinions, without beating around the bush.•••

Thanks TheWonderer - I needed that dose of reality. I did a summer program there last year, and I just unfairly assumed that I would at least get an interview. BUT the admissions lady did tell me that they'll be interviewing through mid-March and to just hang in there. So I still ave my hopes up.