ANYONE with any ADVICE? please read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nooro

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may be a stupid question, or a question addressed elsewhere that I could not find, if that is the case I am sorry. Let me quickly tell you guys my situation. I have a 3.0 science, which I know is not very high AT ALL, and I have a 3.5 cum, with a major in Bio and Religous Studies receiving a dual degree (BA in Science and BA in Arts). I took my mcats last august and got a 26 =(. I also have a very very good CV, meaning i've shadowed doctors, worked in a lab (not published though :mad, volunteered, president of a bunch of medical organizations, fraternity, etc...) I realize that unfortunately these things dont carry much weight; however, they count for a lil .

So now my question, or better yet what I have decided, but would greatly appreciate any advice on the matter:

I sent in my AMCAS to 1 school, and have decided not to send in my AMCAS to more schools until I get my MCAT scores back and see what I get on them. I realize this puts me back in the pile, but I am hoping that my application doesnt get thrown out right away because of my low gpa/mcat. And then depending on my MCAT score send my AMCAS out to more schools. Realistically, I feel I need a 32 just to be without doubt that I would get into a medical school in the U.S. (right?). But, I think a 32 is beyond my grasp though I am studying exceptionally hard (I'm sure about this one, bout 8 hours a day). I can't seem to get out of the 27, 28 range, but hopefully I will.
More importantly
If I dont get at least a 29 or a 30, I am doubtful that I will even bother applying to more schools, and take a year and do a 1 year masters (at Rosalind and Franklin, Gtown, BU, whatever is best) and *reapply* realistically apply for the first time to more schools. I think this is the best course of action for me, because from what I have heard, applying for a 2nd time to specific schools decreases your chances considerably, because of the *special secondary or questions you get basically asking: "what have you done that makes your application so much more favorable to us now as opposed to when we declined you before?" And apparently you need to have done great things to squeak by. Unfortunately, though realistically, I understand that the chances of me getting into medical school on this first attempt as a "traditional" applicant is very low and think this is the best path to take for my future??

How this relates to this forum, and I guess my ultimate question, and I'm sorry for making this so lengthy (I would appreciate anyones feedback):
Do medical schools look at applications and put them in a rejection/no interview pile, even though they may be taking the MCATS in August, or do they put aside the application (regardless of previous MCAT/GPA or any other factors) and wait for the MCAT to come in?

Thank you all for listening to my story of utter doom (sorry I just took a Kaplan Full length #7, and was it hard , kinda unwinding right now, before I do some more topicals that tell me how stupid I am )

Goodluck to everyone taking the MCATS and thank you to everyone that takes time out of their busy schedule, to take a few minutes and try to help others and at the same time learn from others as well. Thanks again.

~Omar

Members don't see this ad.