Anyone with lower DAT scores get in anywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michael55

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone with a lower DAT got in anywhere. Maybe lower DAT with average, above average GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Lowest score i hear getting in anywhere is a 17 overall. I am not too sure about the breakdown of that score. I am sure there might be lower.

I wish there was a statistic on this...it would be helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
My DAT was not too good:
18(AA)/20(SA)/16!(PAT):(
I did not get an interview at UCLA:mad:
but did get one at UCSF;
I did not go because I was accepted at my first choice OHSU.
DAT is not everything.:clap:
I had good GPA, that helps.

Originally posted by natush
My DAT was not too good:
18(AA)/20(SA)/16!(PAT):(
Ummmmmmmmmmmm ................................... those are excellent DAT scores buddy

I consider scores above 19 to be extremelly good. The PAT section doesn't really play an important role in most schools

AA/SCI/PAT/RC

19?21/18/15

not a good gpa either 2.96ish. got 4 interviews. accepted at IUSD.

I got into IUSD and UNLV on Dec. 1. I withdrew everywhere else. My scores were 17 AA 16 PAT 19 SCI with 3.5 sci and 3.5 overall. I was pretty excited about UNLV (1st choice!!)

Originally posted by predentchick
I was pretty excited about UNLV (1st choice!!)

excitted about vegas? no way. just kidding:) :)

man i can't wait to finish anatomy and leave LA 1st thing in June. i am driving through Vegas and staying there for 3 nights and make sure i have a blast before i tackle dental school.

almost there, just 2 more months but the anticipation and the anat lab is really driving me nuts.

Originally posted by Michael55
Just wondering if anyone with a lower DAT got in anywhere. Maybe lower DAT with average, above average GPA.

No one has ever gotten in with a low DAT score. Ever. :laugh:

Originally posted by Tri_dent

Yep, I just got into UNC with a 14 PAT other scores

19- AA
22- Reading
QR - 13

I just decided I wanted to go to Dental school this June (I've been working since undergrad for 2 yrs). Took DAT in August and didn't have time to retake it before the Dec 1st decisions were made - glad I didn't waste the money. So if the PAT ( and in my case PAT and the QR) are your only weak pts - it shouldn't hurt you much.

What an ass! Myself, along with many others with far better scores and far more dedication to the field didn't get accepted at Carolina. Yes, the DAT doesn't really matter all that much. Its all about who you know, especially in this neck of the woods.

Originally posted by Radioheadblue
What an ass! Myself, along with many others with far better scores and far more dedication to the field didn't get accepted at Carolina. Yes, the DAT doesn't really matter all that much. Its all about who you know, especially in this neck of the woods.

You've got no idea of the garbage that goes on behind closed doors at unc. You think the admissions is shady, be happy you don't have to see the stuff that goes on behind closed doors once you get in. makes me sick.

Quite a few students with low DAT scores get in, but you also have to view the other pieces of the puzzle....

- GPA
- LORs
- state of residency
- their relative on the admissions committee

Seriously though, it's always good to remember that adcoms take other things into account, ie, people with 17 DAT and a 3.8 probably get accepted a lot more than those with a 17 DAT and a 2.9.

Originally posted by DcS
You've got no idea of the garbage that goes on behind closed doors at unc. You think the admissions is shady, be happy you don't have to see the stuff that goes on behind closed doors once you get in. makes me sick.
DcS

Would you say that Tri_dent with PAT14 and QR13 got in to UNC - is probably true? How shady is that? :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ItsGavinC
Quite a few students with low DAT scores get in, but you also have to view the other pieces of the puzzle....

- GPA
- LORs
- state of residency

Seriously though, it's always good to remember that adcoms take other things into account, ie, people with 17 DAT and a 3.8 probably get accepted a lot more than those with a 17 DAT and a 2.9.

a 17 is low?

Originally posted by ItsGavinC

- GPA
- LORs
- state of residency

-race ;)

Originally posted by Mo007
DcS

Would you say that Tri_dent with PAT14 and QR13 got in to UNC - is probably true? How shady is that? :eek:

Yes it is probably true. Trust me, you don't want to know.

Wowwww!! That makes me sick to my stomach to hear that. She just decided to do dental school, did horrible on her DAT and got into one of the top dental schools (with regard to Tri-dent). I bust my butt, get good grades, score well on DATs, and have wanted to go into dentistry for a few years now and I dont even get waitlisted at UNC.

16 AA 16 Science. GPA is 3.7 overall, 3.5 Science. Now I'm VERY worried!!!!!!!

originally posted by Michael55
16 AA 16 Science. GPA is 3.7 overall, 3.5 Science. Now I'm VERY worried!!!!!!!

Your GPA is good, and may get you in somewhere on that alone, however, you should definately retake the DAT. A little work would get you better scores. Have you got study books, kaplan, Barrons? I have some that I would I would sell to you if you wanted them. They all have practice exams in it, so you can somewhat gauge your performance before taking it again.

Best of luck to ya.

Can someone tell me if this good?

Northern Illinois resident
AA: 18
PAT: 18
Science: 18

Overall GPA 3.2; Science 3.4
Major: Electrical Engineering, minor in chemistry from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

First choice dental school: Southern Illinois University.

thanks,
ULTRON

ULTRON said:

Major: Electrical Engineering, minor in chemistry from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

thanks,
ULTRON

These are reasonable and competitive GPA and DAT scores. Just write a good applicant essay and have good LOR and you should have no problem getting an interview with many schools.

If you really want to get into Souther Illinois University, you should contact them and provide this information so that they can provide you with the best course of action.

Thats Life I know applicanst that got in with 2.7's and a 18 but, they knew somebody that could get them in. In this world its not what you know its who you know!!!!

surgeon said:
Thats Life I know applicanst that got in with 2.7's and a 18 but, they knew somebody that could get them in. In this world its not what you know its who you know!!!!

true true (sometimes).

a patient in our office recently told me that someone they know (very high rank in the ADEA) told her that her 2 kids could get in any dental school they wanted to. she mentioned that her kids aren't interested in dentistry, but it makes me sick to my stomach that those things do happen.

i personally would not have liked getting into a dental school knowing that i wasn't picked for my academics or that i wasn't competitive enough.

but thats just me :D

Yup that's the way life is and we cant do anything about it. Even docotrs these days aren't out to treat patients c'mon their out for the money and I have no choice but to have the same attitude. But your thinking is right academics should be first but not in this world

AA 17 PAT 18 SCI 16---GPA 3.58 Education Major
Not that solid of numbers but I interviewed very well---had great letters of recommendation, and had a very strong extra curricular base--played sports in college! If doesn't work out this year be sure to pick up extra curric. that make you seem like a very well rounded applicant--in addition---become the people that know people---visit your nearest dental school and ask to volunteer while you wait for the next application cycle---do whatever it takes!

Best of Luck
U. Colorado 2008

what sport did you play in college.

I played football at Colorado State

DcS said:

Is this why when i checked ada.org to look at the list of schools UNC had a probationary accreditation? Meaning they had to fix a few things by a certain date.

Perfect...I hate to argue with you...but sometimes numbers dont tell the whole story..not to say I have under a 3.0 gpa...but a person should not be judged strictly on GPA and DAT alone. Plenty of people work very hard and want to obtain the best grades possible but sometimes it works out. Will these people be bad doctors/dentists? I know a lot of unsuccessful undergrads who turned out to be not only good students in professional school but as practicing doctors (and still are today).

sorry I meant "soemtimes it doesnt work out"

MY DAT
Bio score=18, Gen Chem=17, Orgo=19, Read=19, QR=16 or 17(can't remember)
SA=18, AA=18, PAT=17
GPA=3.09
None-Traditional student= 6 yrs to graduate (worked so I never had time for a full load)
Major=Bio with Chem Minor

Accepted at BU (Mid-January) and NYU(Mid-Dec).
Waitlisted at Crieghton, U of Buffalo, UDM.
Waiting for response (after interview) from= Baylor, UT-Houston.
Rejected from= Nova, Marquette, Meharry(i am not a minority student but decided to try anyway).
Interview offered (but i did'nt go)= USC(MID-March), Tufts(Mid March).

So for all you none Traditional students or folks with lower stats don't give up b/c as you can see i was in the same boat but managed to get in with no problems.

DarcyT

Good stats, shows people can get in with fair scores like yours, even though many SDNers might be suprised that you did - i think you deserved to get in all those schools... ;)

ULTRON said:

thanks,
ULTRON

Your stats look good to me. I got into U of Minnesota and Creighton with my DAT Scores of AA: 18 TS: 18 and PAT: 17. My GPA overall GPA was 3.6 and my science GPA was 3.5.

Sure there are applicants with better scores, but I think you are a competitive applicant. Especially for your state school.

Here are my stats: DAT - 19 AA, 19 SA and 16 PAT and had a 3.28 GPA. I did take a year off in between and really f***ed up my freshman year in undergrad. I am now glad that it is all behind me and am excited to attend NYU next year!!

Radioheadblue said:

Sorry you are so jealous. But it's not about who you know. I am a smart white chic with a kick ass application and grades and knows how to interview. One test is a small piece of the whole person. And something else to get your panties in a wad - I was awarded 2 scholarships that will practically give me a full ride to UNC, including living expenses. Obviously your "far more dedication to the field" ended up wasting you money and time when it came to applying to UNC. That must really suck! I applied to one top school, one time and got in because of my past achievements, experience, and intelligence. Can you handle that. :D

Tri_dent said:
Sorry you are so jealous. But it's not about who you know. I am a smart white chic with a kick ass application and grades and knows how to interview. One test is a small piece of the whole person. And something else to get your panties in a wad - I was awarded 2 scholarships that will practically give me a full ride to UNC, including living expenses. Obviously your "far more dedication to the field" ended up wasting you money and time when it came to applying to UNC. That must really suck! I applied to one top school, one time and got in because of my past achievements, experience, and intelligence. Can you handle that. :D

Congratulations on your accomplishments, Tri dent. Isn't UNC your undergraduate school as well? And I assume that means you are a resident of North Carolina too. Those are two major things you had going for you. Oh, and advertising your accolades and achievements to spite someone is not cool.

Not to say anything bad about any of you that got in with low DAT scores, but I think schools should weigh the DAT and GPA equally. Many people get into dental schools with above average GPAs and below average DAT scores, but not vice versa. I think this is unfair, especially if you go to a difficult undergraduate school where the competition is very stiff. I don't think schools weigh what undergraduate school the applicants attended enough. You have to agree it is easier to get a 3.5 at many average schools than get a 3.0 at top undergraduate schools. I know people with 3.5's that go to cal states and have an ok knowledge of science that have gotten into dental school with 17's and 16's. Doesn't the DAT sci section indicate how much you learned at you undergraduate institution? Sigh, many of you may agree or disagree with me, but thats just my 2 cents.

I got 18/18/20
Overall GPA 3.3
Sci GPA 3.22
I have 3 strong LORs, lots of research, volunteering, shadowing (200 hours)
and I am getting worried about my schools :scared:

I have a 17/17/21 with a 3.4 Gpa and I am worried as well. The people on this site have such high scores!

Considering the fact that on average there are 8000 applicants and 4000 seats available, there is a good 50% chance to get in. Well, you either get in or don't :D . Hopefully, the people with such high scores represent the minority. I don?t believe this site is a true representation of the people that take up all 4000 available seats at dental schools each year.

Tri_dent said:

What time of year did you apply? When were you excepted?