Anyone work as an IT Consultant Pharmacist??

Started by dakarm3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dakarm3

Track junkie
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

New here in the forum. Wish I know about this forum earlier. Anyway, I am working for a fortune 500 company as a pharmacist. Browsed the job board one day and saw a consultant IT pharmacist position. Preferred pharmacy degree with IT knowledge. My other degree was in engineering so I'm pretty comfortable with tech lingo.

So what type of experience would I need to apply for the job..classes I need to take, etc.

Any advices would be appreciated!

TIA
 
i work in IT as a system admin and have just finished a painfully long week!

i will post more tomorrow, feel free to PM me!
 
i work in IT as a system admin and have just finished a painfully long week!

i will post more tomorrow, feel free to PM me!

PM you..I had a long week as well. Been working the grave yard for the last 2 weeks!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi there. i saw your posting on the forum saying taht you work in IT as a system administrator. i'm interested in a career in IT or other computer-related career as a pharmacist. Do you have any recommendations as to where to find a job like that? (i.e. where i should be searching) as well as what educational skills/knowledge i will require? (e.g. courses i should take etc) thanks in advance for your help
 
my boyfriend has a MIS (management information systems) degree and is working on his PharmD. He's probably going to go into IT or drug info. It seems like a lot of it is applying for the job when it's posted - none of the IT pharmacists at our hospital have specialized IT degrees or anything, it's more or less something they fell into and then made their niche.
 
yes, i was one of those people who fell into a niche. i have always been interested in technology and pharmacy, and have always volunteered on projects as they came up. i got SQL certification this past year to give myself an edge as well as get more proficient at some IT skills. it helps a lot.
there are lots of postings out there for IT pharmacists....try AMIA or HIMSS.
 
I would second the recommendation to learn SQL. Out of all the things out there that you can pick up relatively quickly sql is very useful for doing just about anything. I'm interested in this area, but I'm not entirely sold on whether a hospital or health system would really have the type of position that would mesh well with my skills and interests. Also from what i've heard, coding for a job is not the same as coding for fun. If you're completely new, i'd recommend learning python as a beginner's exercise, it is arguably one of the easiest languages to learn and work with. Then I'd move onward to sql, and then either java or c++ depending on your interests. Then again, i have no clue how this knowledge would be put to use on a salaried basis for a healthcare employer. It is one of my pipe dreams to design pharmacy software, but I'm still looking for a good angle
 
Last edited:
So how does one go about doing this and actually securing a job? I see PGY2 for informatics but is that really necessary?