Anyone work in the VA system?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QPublic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience as a psychologist employee in the VA (Veterans Administration, not Virginia ;-) system? I realize, of course, that region and specific programs are major variables, but I'm looking into a VA position and just thought I'd ask what others' experience has been like.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone here have experience as a psychologist employee in the VA (Veterans Administration, not Virginia ;-) system? I realize, of course, that region and specific programs are major variables, but I'm looking into a VA position and just thought I'd ask what others' experience has been like.

Thanks

I work in the VA system. PM me if you want to chat about what my experience has been like.

I did a practicum at Miami's VA. One of the best clinical experiences of my clinical career and a very positive work environment and pro-psychologist sort of place. I very much enjoyed it and would seriously consider the VA as an employment option (as long as the population is one you'd like to work with).

John

Members don't see this ad :)
You also do not have to deal with billing issues, which is a huge plus in my book.

I've heard that in general (though of course it's tough to generalize) the VA is pro-psychologist, like you said. That is a big factor that would motivate me.

I've heard that in general (though of course it's tough to generalize) the VA is pro-psychologist, like you said. That is a big factor that would motivate me.

I've heard the same thing. The VA pop. isn't my area, but I hear in general the hours, working environment, etc can be pretty comfortable.

-t

I'm currently at my second VA (one on each coast) and love it. It's a great environment, very supportive, and seems to be somewhat innovative. Certainly a system that is moving forward given the current war and influx of veterans...

PM me if you want to talk further in more specific detail. There is certainly room for improvement, but overall a very good choice.

Hi ~ I worked as a Clinical Researcher in the Spinal Cord Injury Unit at the Bronx VA for over 1 year. In this position, my interactions with the patients were awesome and diverse. (I still miss the patients.) Although this position was not in the capacity of a psychologist, I interacted intermittently with the two staff psychologists on the unit. They seemed well received by the patients, and it seemed as if other staff respected their work. It’s a great environment - honest & real, not fancy. Good Luck!