Anyone worked in oncology specialty pharmacy? What occupational precaution do you practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firework

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever worked in an oncology specialty pharmacy and dealt with oral oncology drugs? Did you wear gloves and masks and gowns? What level of occupational protection did you practice? I was offered a job in an oral oncology pharmacy. Don’t know if I should accept as I’m young and female, plan to have kids, not now but in a few years hopefully.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone ever worked in an oncology specialty pharmacy and dealt with oral oncology drugs? Did you wear gloves and masks and gowns? What level of occupational protection did you practice? I was offered a job in an oral oncology pharmacy. Don’t know if I should accept as I’m young and female, plan to have kids, not now but in a few years hopefully.

Yes! Me! To dispense oral oncology medications, we glove up and count them on a designated counting tray. After, the tray is wiped down with bleach and alcohol. The trash from the stock bottles has a designated trash can, is bagged up and disposed of with hazardous waste. Gowns are not necessary.

I like it! It's interesting rewarding work. I am also young and female, and not at all concerned about health risks from this job. We do things in a very safe manner. I would say go for it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've worked as a technician in 2 oncology pharmacies doing most inpatient type work (IV's and such)

I'd say its no more dangerous than working inpatient, just higher risk if something DOES happen. That said, it's as safe as you make it. Technician is likely most at risk as they're handling it more. As Litha said, we use a special counting tray for tabs/caps and cleaned well after. I wore a mask a lot of the time because if I can smell it, i'm sure its not great for you lol

When handling oral onco meds, I would't be concerned as long as you have chemo-protective gloves on. Onco meds are required to be stored in negative pressure rooms per USP 800, so I wouldn't be worried about exposure at all. As far as IV chemo, make sure that u are wearing protective gear head to toe (also required per USP 800) & use closed transfer device when dealing with chemo that is known to be vaporous.

The occupational precaution that I practice for oncology pharmacy is avoidance