Anyone working four days a week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about cutting back my workload to 4 days a week and hiring someone part time 4 days a week (or full time 5 if that's their bag). How does your staff handle things when you're out of the office one day a week? Are you expected to still be reachable during business hours? Even taking two half days off would be amazing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Been doing it for years. Highly recommended.

If you are strictly private practice, I don't think there are specific rules about when/how you are reachable as long as your pts don't suffer.

I don't see any reason to hire another person unless you anticipate friction with your group.

Too much work for one person already and it would be much worse if I cut my hours. I hate hearing patients complain about how hard it is to get an appointment. And I’d prefer not to hire an NP/PA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too much work for one person already and it would be much worse if I cut my hours. I hate hearing patients complain about how hard it is to get an appointment. And I’d prefer not to hire an NP/PA.
Where are you located?

The non-yeehaw part of Texas

Usually, I still log into the computer around 3:00 on Friday and take care of anything that needs done. I have had Friday reserved for surgeries (used all of the time in 2019, not much since) or side projects (hasn’t worked out).

Oh ok I just re-read your OP. If you hire another physician, you can just take turns taking call - all questions go to whoever is on call. You are completely free when you have another doc taking your call. They obviously can reach you in the super-rare cases.

Obviously you want someone you can really trust, has the same mindset as you do with regard to 1099 vs employed vs future partnership, etc.

I say go for it. YOLO.

that would be my ultimate goal - to go 4 days a week. would be wonderful. in PP very doable. i think another physician/pa/np will be crucial

ive been working 4 days a week for years. I have a young son so he is my priority...when i dont have him, fridays are for fishing. If i have a VIP or a busy day i open a friday up. I havent seen the need or hassle to hire anyone.

I changed my schedule to Friday afternoons off a few years back and it saved my life I think. Forward the calls to your cell and answer the voice mails if you need or sit on them until Monday.

Good for you this is my goal for life.... or three days a week :)

For those of you working 4 days, how did dropping a day affect your income? I'm assuming it isn't as simple as subtracting 20% from what you were making with a full week.

Reactions: 1 users
I work 4 days a week. My cell phone number is readily available to every single one of my patients. I see no point in carrying a pager or paying for an answering service if I have to return the call anyway. Pts rarely call me. Most payers require 24-hour access to a provider in one form or another.

Members don't see this ad :)
i havent had an answering service in 10+ years. My Voicemail says call 911 if emergency. My staff catches up on all the insurance BS on fridays. If you are a baller and are so busy you need to hire someone, then more power to you. But it should probably be a NP or PA. Ive been contemplating subleasing my office the 1-2 days a week i can take off.

I start an hour early 3 days a week so I can leave early on Fridays. All of our docs had the option, only 2 of us wanted our half day to be Friday.

Reactions: 2 users
Worked 4 days a week for last couple years...Have someone in office(MA) to answer calls the day I am out. She calls me when urgent , which has been once in 2 years

Really admire all you people who can only work 4 days a week. Likely healthier than my plan to work like a baller for the next 10 years then retire in my mid 50s.

I want to live overseas, so hard to work part time that way.

Really admire all you people who can only work 4 days a week. Likely healthier than my plan to work like a baller for the next 10 years then retire in my mid 50s.

Wait a second...you don’t want to talk to people about gabapentin and medial branches every day until you are old? Hah! Your generation has no work ethic.

What are you gonna do with all your time when you retire?

Where overseas?....should not really have to ball out if COL is lot cheaper

Where overseas?....should not really have to ball out if COL is lot cheaper
What are you gonna do with all your time when you retire?

I have many interests/pastimes outside of medicine. Sailing, racing cars, hiking, deep sea fishing, guitar, finally writing a novel, exploring the world, etc.

Regarding which countries, still deciding. Part of the reason to ball out is that I'd like two longterm homes in two different countries/hemispheres for variety and to avoid most of winter.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Can people share their day/ week breakdown?

M: clinic all day 7-12 mostly consults, 1-4 follow ups and a few consults
T: 8-12, 1-4 procedures
W: 8-12, 1-4 procedures
Th: 7-12 Clinic mostly consults, 1-2 consults, 2-4 ultrasound procedures
F: 7-9 clinic consults, 9-12 procedures

30 minute consults
15 minute follow ups
20 minute procedures
30 minute RFA
60 minute stim trial
15 minute ultrasound procedures

NP coverage 3 days a week to assist with follow ups and feed the machine

Ortho sends me lots of ultrasound procedures and hips/SIJs

Reactions: 2 users
I'm thinking of changing my schedule to Monday to Friday from 8 am to 1 pm with no lunch. This way I'll have most of the day to myself. I like to have the ability to see at least 100 patients per week and this schedule should allow this. Any thoughts on this schedule?

I'm thinking of changing my schedule to Monday to Friday from 8 am to 1 pm with no lunch. This way I'll have most of the day to myself. I like to have the ability to see at least 100 patients per week and this schedule should allow this. Any thoughts on this schedule?

Would your staff stay until the end of the day or would they also work a half day? I think even the best of staff would start to slack off if you’re not there to observe. I would consider alternating mornings and afternoon half days.

I guess it depends on how long you tend to have to spend there at the end of the your day. Also not sure if it’s federal or state law but for my staff mandated lunch break is after 5 hours so if your staff is there a little before 8 to check in your first patient, they would have to leave for lunch break just before 1:00.

M: clinic all day 7-12 mostly consults, 1-4 follow ups and a few consults
T: 8-12, 1-4 procedures
W: 8-12, 1-4 procedures
Th: 7-12 Clinic mostly consults, 1-2 consults, 2-4 ultrasound procedures
F: 7-9 clinic consults, 9-12 procedures

30 minute consults
15 minute follow ups
20 minute procedures
30 minute RFA
60 minute stim trial
15 minute ultrasound procedures

NP coverage 3 days a week to assist with follow ups and feed the machine

Ortho sends me lots of ultrasound procedures and hips/SIJs
what kinds of procedures do you do?

what kinds of procedures do you do?
all the bread and butter pain stuff, mbbs, rfa, cesi, lesi, tfesi, stim trials, joints (sij, hip, knee, shoulder), bursae, tpi, gon blocks, occasional stellate
I don't do vertebral augmentation and don't implant stims - send to our surgical colleagues for those

Would your staff stay until the end of the day or would they also work a half day? I think even the best of staff would start to slack off if you’re not there to observe. I would consider alternating mornings and afternoon half days.
Nope, only while I'm there. She can return messages the next day. My approach to slacking off I think is a bit different. I don't really mind it. I know that she's on facebook and the other social media sites during the day. It doesn't bother me as long as she gets her work done. In fact, I prefer it. This way, she has some stress relief and it breaks up the day. It does for her exactly what this site does for me.

I guess it depends on how long you tend to have to spend there at the end of the your day. Also not sure if it’s federal or state law but for my staff mandated lunch break is after 5 hours so if your staff is there a little before 8 to check in your first patient, they would have to leave for lunch break just before 1:00.
That's a good point but I don't think breaks are federally mandated. She can take a break whenever she wants anyway, just as long as she gets her work done, which she does.

That's a good point but I don't think breaks are federally mandated. She can take a break whenever she wants anyway, just as long as she gets her work done, which she does.

It’s just you and one person? If she gets paid by the hour she may not want to have a part time job. I thought my MA would be happy when she was sent home early but she needed the hours.

what will you do about the patients that work 7 to 3?

I'm here until 5, and I feel bad for those people who work 8 to 5 and cant get here without taking time or lunch off. 8 to 1 might be more difficult for them.

It’s just you and one person? If she gets paid by the hour she may not want to have a part time job. I thought my MA would be happy when she was sent home early but she needed the hours.
Yes, just me and one person. I'm discussing it with her.