anyone worrying about "MOVING"?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mackaikai

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am worried about moving to another state.... how? drive there? airplane, rent a car, find an apartment within a few days, buy bed...etc.... BLAH! I AM NERVOUS! :wow: :wow: :wow: :( :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh....I know how you feel. Actually I feel for you more cause I have to move four hours away and I am freaking out. I can't imagine moving to another state. :rolleyes: :scared: :scared:

Just the thought of moving, packing up all the goods, and having to adjust to a whole different town....ugh.....

Try moving to the opposite coast! :scared: Now THAT is scary. I'm supposed to start looking for housing in May for BU and the UCI waitlist doesn't even start to move till late May. Again: :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
Try moving to the opposite coast! :scared: Now THAT is scary. I'm supposed to start looking for housing in May for BU and the UCI waitlist doesn't even start to move till late May. Again: :scared:

ooooooo.........that's bad.....bleeeeeeeehhhhhhhh!:wow: +pity+

Dear AlreadyinDebt,
i've been living in boston for almost two years now (and though i've barely seen the light of day between work, postbac, mcat and apps) and if you need advice on boston neighborhoods, etc. let me know. i work with a BU grad as well and might be able to score some good advice for you, though i won't be staying in boston much longer.

i'm sure there are lots of SDNers out there who are "trading places" and i'm sure many are happy to help.
i've moved cross-country (OR to DC) and up the coast (DC to Boston) before and can attest to the fact that it is NOT FUN to move.
it is even more stressful when you are not even sure where you're going.
on the other hand, it is exciting and can be pretty cool if you're moving to a nice place and starting a new life. and you can clean out a lot of crap to boot.

good luck all....i hope to know where i'm going soon :D

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
Try moving to the opposite coast! :scared: Now THAT is scary.

Try moving from California to Hawaii! Now THAT'S far. :)

Nope not nervous. Been there done that and will do it again in June. Fun times are ahead.

Originally posted by Blade28
Try moving from California to Hawaii! Now THAT'S far. :)

dude, that wouldnt make me nervous, i'd be looking forward to the 4 best years of my life!

of course.. HI probably isnt nearly as fun living as it is visiting.. or is it?

Originally posted by exmike
dude, that wouldnt make me nervous, i'd be looking forward to the 4 best years of my life!

of course.. HI probably isnt nearly as fun living as it is visiting.. or is it?

you're right, hawaii's gotta suck :)

Fortunately my family is just two hours away from where I'll be moving, so they have been able to scope out the place for me to live next year and have even secured some new furniture for me. I just need to sell off what I have here (which is all cheap stuff anyways) and pack up some suitcases for my clothes and stuff.

I have several people coming from home for my graduation, so each of them is being allowed a maximum of one piece of luggage, then they'll take one of my pieces back with them, too. That may be something other people can do, too. I'll only need to end up renting a U-Haul to bring stuff the two hours from home to LA in August.

All and all, I am just really excited to be starting fresh at a new school, with new people, and in a new place!!

I'm actually moving back home for med school. I went away from home for undergrad, but will only be an hour away in med school. That makes moving a breeze. Good luck to all of you finding apartments. I know it can be a hassle sometimes.

Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
you're right, hawaii's gotta suck :)

Well, I don't get out much anymore, so it wouldn't really matter where I was. It's definitely nice though. :)

This seems to be the appropriate venue for sharing the fact that I DON"T WANT TO GO TO NYC!!!!! AAAHHH! I applied to AECOM, I got in. I am happy, I just want the school to come to me! I am from MONTANA! I live by myself in a farm house on 40 acres! I do not want to give that up. Or my pets. NY smells funny. OOOOOOHHH what have I done to myself!
I just had to get that off of my chest. I am ready to go back to telling my friends and family how happy and excited I am now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Kimmer
This seems to be the appropriate venue for sharing the fact that I DON"T WANT TO GO TO NYC!!!!! AAAHHH! I applied to AECOM, I got in. I am happy, I just want the school to come to me! I am from MONTANA! I live by myself in a farm house on 40 acres! I do not want to give that up. Or my pets. NY smells funny. OOOOOOHHH what have I done to myself!
I just had to get that off of my chest. I am ready to go back to telling my friends and family how happy and excited I am now.

I think you're the exact 180 degree opposite of 99% of applicants out there. I think most of us are scared of being stuck in the boonies on a 40 acre farm with funny smelling animals. :laugh:

i have to move from CA to indiana...and I have a condo full of stuff. I have a piano, 3 beds, all these bookshelves, a couch, big TV, dining table....aaaaagh!!!!!!!! At least I'm not selling my condo, so I don't have to worry about the timing of the sell/buy new place thing...that'd be even worse =(

I think some of it's going to my parents but their house is pretty full with their stuff anyway, I might just get a moving company to move it to my new house?

Kimmer, I totally hear ya... I like visiting NYC once in a while, but living there.... hell no!! That's actually why I like Pitt... I want to do EM, so I need a huge hospital in an urban environment, but I dont' want to live in that sort of environment: I feel that Pitt gives me the best of both.

I'm pretty worried about moving myself... I go to college about an hour away from home, and now i'm moving about 7 hours away from home..... kind of frightening, definetly. But i'm hoping that I meet some cool folks at the second look, and then i'm planning on driving back around mid-June to find an apartment (assuming I don't get off a waitlist).

Best of luck to everyone!!! Great thread!!!

Originally posted by exmike
I think you're the exact 180 degree opposite of 99% of applicants out there. I think most of us are scared of being stuck in the boonies on a 40 acre farm with funny smelling animals. :laugh:

I don't know about that. I've met lots of people from "the boonies" as you so kindly called it. I personally am from a pretty rural area and I couldn't ever picture myself living in NYC. I'm going to Rochester, that's about as urban as I get.

Kimmers, are you committed to AECOM? If not, is there a chance you can get in somewhere else?

Originally posted by ZekeMD
I don't know about that. I've met lots of people from "the boonies" as you so kindly called it. I personally am from a pretty rural area and I couldn't ever picture myself living in NYC. I'm going to Rochester, that's about as urban as I get.

Kimmers, are you committed to AECOM? If not, is there a chance you can get in somewhere else?

you're right. im being narrowminded thinking that everyone grew up in an urban area like me. Anyways, we all have to face change throughout our lives, what is important is how we face it! Kimmers, maybe you'll grow to love an urban area. AECOM is a great school, good luck!

Thanks for all the support (well maybe not the smelly animals comment). It is not that bad really. I just had to spaz out here so I can avoid doing the same with everyone else. After all the years of complaining "I will never get into med school" I can not subject the same poor people to "now I am afraid to go!". Way lame. NYC is my Everest. I must conquer it just because it is there. Then I can go back to my lovely boonies life and practice boonies medicine. The city does smell though. You can't deny it.

Originally posted by NDESTRUKT
i have to move from CA to indiana...and I have a condo full of stuff. I have a piano, 3 beds, all these bookshelves, a couch, big TV, dining table....aaaaagh!!!!!!!! At least I'm not selling my condo, so I don't have to worry about the timing of the sell/buy new place thing...that'd be even worse =(

I think some of it's going to my parents but their house is pretty full with their stuff anyway, I might just get a moving company to move it to my new house?

It could be worse. You could be in my position, living on a TIGHT budget, and moving into an apartment for the first time without a stick of furniture to your name. What have I gotten myself into? Aaaaaaaarg.... :eek:

Originally posted by Kimmer
Thanks for all the support (well maybe not the smelly animals comment). It is not that bad really. I just had to spaz out here so I can avoid doing the same with everyone else. After all the years of complaining "I will never get into med school" I can not subject the same poor people to "now I am afraid to go!". Way lame. NYC is my Everest. I must conquer it just because it is there. Then I can go back to my lovely boonies life and practice boonies medicine. The city does smell though. You can't deny it.

yes, you're right, the city does smell. very very badly actually.

Originally posted by Sharkfan
It could be worse. You could be in my position, living on a TIGHT budget, and moving into an apartment for the first time without a stick of furniture to your name. What have I gotten myself into? Aaaaaaaarg.... :eek:

Exactly. I had NO piano, bed, bookshelves, couch, TV, dining table, etc. when I moved. Had to buy all of them. :( Well, besides the piano. :)

All I have to say is pre-furnished apartments.

I'm showing up with nothing but a backpack on my back! :wow:

I'll by clothes and underwear when i get there... :laugh: :laugh:

It looks like I might be moving from North Carolina back up to New York, my former state of residence.

Except this time, I'm headin' for the city!

Have to worry about subletting in NC for the summer, selling my car, getting all of my stuff back up north... arg!

I wonder if people that are nervous about moving have lived in the same state their whole lives and have an irrational fear about living in other states or are just reluctant to do the ground work necessary to move. I say this having lived in numerous states througout my life. I remember the anxiety of the first few moves but now I actually look forward to it. If you think about it, there is a reason why people live in other states versus the state you are coming from. Besides, it's really the people that make a place. When people ask me where I like living best it's impossible to answer because I have had the luxury of meeting great people in every state-it's kind of like I imagine when you have multiple kids and you love them all in different ways. Anyhow, I spent the most time in California and most people from here don't understand why people live elsewhere, although most of them haven't really left the state much.

To those with anxiety about leaving or moving trust that you will meet some great people, learn more about the country that you live in and pick up invaluable people skills that will allow you to relate better to future patients.

Well, I have to move from Colorado to New York.

I've lived in many states so that is not too concerning, but I unfortunately have a substantial list of groundwork to cover.

Before moving, I have to sell my house in a currently depressed job market, my husband has to find a job in New York so he can support me :love:, we need to buy a new house in NY, and then find a way to transport a household of stuff, a baby, two BIG dogs and six goldfish 2000 miles.

Yikes.

Wow, listening to some of your stories makes me feel extremely lucky in comparison. I just got into U of MN (go gophers!), and my boyfriend can easily transfer his current job there. His company will even relocate us so we won't have to worry about moving expenses and hassles. Plus all my stuff is already packed up in a storage unit, so I don't even have to do that. It's just a matter of giving notice at our apartment and taking off... I'm so ready to go! Plus I'm so excited about finally being able to afford a house after being priced out of the Bay Area market for so long!!! Yay house-to-be!!

Originally posted by fischer
Well, I have to move from Colorado to New York.

I've lived in many states so that is not too concerning, but I unfortunately have a substantial list of groundwork to cover.

Before moving, I have to sell my house in a currently depressed job market, my husband has to find a job in New York so he can support me :love:, we need to buy a new house in NY, and then find a way to transport a household of stuff, a baby, two BIG dogs and six goldfish 2000 miles.

Yikes.

Where in NY are you headed. I'm from NY so depending on where you're going maybe I can give you some pointers. Of course if you're going to the city you're on your own. I know nothing about NYC.

Originally posted by ZekeMD
Where in NY are you headed. I'm from NY so depending on where you're going maybe I can give you some pointers. Of course if you're going to the city you're on your own. I know nothing about NYC.

Headed to the capital! Any info would be appreciated.

Rose122 said:
I wonder if people that are nervous about moving have lived in the same state their whole lives and have an irrational fear about living in other states or are just reluctant to do the ground work necessary to move.

It's the first one, but as time goes by, I get more and more excited!!!!!!! :D

I don't think Boston's ready for this jelly! :laugh:

Geez, I wish I have the chance to move to a different place. I'm staying in the same city, and as for my apartment, I'm moving like 2-3 blocks south of where I'm living now...talk about a dramatic change in environment! ;)

CalBeE said:
Geez, I wish I have the chance to move to a different place. I'm staying in the same city, and as for my apartment, I'm moving like 2-3 blocks south of where I'm living now...talk about a dramatic change in environment! ;)

I pity you. Being uprooted from all that is familiar to you... :(

:laugh:

Personally, I love the experience of moving and experiencing a new environment, a new city, meeting new people, etc. I was absolutely relieved to get the fock out of my parent's house after high school and move over 350 miles away from them. For graduate school and medical school, I REALLY want to be over 1,000 miles away because I want to switch coasts. As much as I love Los Angeles ( :love: ), I'm willing to give it up to experience living in Boston, New York, or Philadelphia (assuming I actually get INTO a med school in these areas...which is doubtful). I can't wait to get the hell out of the Bay Area (SF).

P.S.: I'll be visiting NYC for the very first time in my life this summer. I'm spending a week there and I'm REALLy looking forward to it. I've heard so many great things about it from friends, family, and posters on this board.

BerkeleyPremed said:
P.S.: I'll be visiting NYC for the very first time in my life this summer. I'm spending a week there and I'm REALLy looking forward to it. I've heard so many great things about it from friends, family, and posters on this board.

Boston's better than New York.

:)

NC --> Home --> Chicago, IL.

I don't think it's the moving that bothers me. I think it's more that I've accumulated so much junk over my college years that has remained in NC that somehow needs to get home, have a place at home for a month, and then be packed up and moved again to an inner-city location without easily obtained parking. Too bad I won't be moving directly...

Any of you moving veterans have any tips? I'm planning on only using the family minivan - the back seat and one captain chair removed... So that leaves me pretty little space. I know some people live lightly, but I'm always surrounded by my little asteroid belt of accumulations.

I am planning on hitting IKEA (anyone read The Onion this week? :laugh: ) after I get to the Chicago area, so I'm not too worried about the furniture. Haven't ever moved into a big city before though.

Still, the excitement of someplace new that isn't North Carolina does appeal to me. Just got to get through this summer...

Gah. Edited because too much time at lab kills my grammar.

skypilot said:
Boston's better than New York.

:)

Skypilot,

Are you going to med school in Boston? If so, where? I'm waiting until i know for sure that I'm going before I start a BU thread. :)