Anyone's input please? Decent DAT, below average GPA, little shadowing, good extracurriculars.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentkid411

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on what schools I'd have a decent shot at. I've been looking at DAT scores and trying to compare GPA's, but one thing I don't have is a strong shadowing record (over this past year I decided to go into (try to get into) dentistry).

Information:
-Graduated last year B.S.
- Cumulative: 3.65
-Currently working at a university doing research full time
-Tried to calculate my GPA's with grad and undergrad classes and here's what I think they are: Total Science 3.45; BCP 3.55
-DAT (August 2015): 21 PAT; 22 TS; 23 RC; 24 AA
-Shadowing: approximately 20 hours (planning to do more this semester and next semester). I wasn't able to start shadowing until this summer because of classes and work. Is this very detrimental to my application?

Here is the list I was thinking of (Prefer to stay west coast/midwest):
-Western University of Health Sciences
-University of Colorado
-UMKC
-Creighton
-University of Washington
-UCSF
-University of Nebraska Medical Center
-University of Minnesota
-USC
-Midwestern University, Glendale
-Marquette School of Dentistry

I thought I would qualify for WICHE, but I don't so should I take University of Washington, UMKC and University of Colorado out of my list?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have dental experience such as assisting, then you may be able to get away with your 20 hours of observation... people tend to view them as separate activities, but who knows how the school sees it. If you're assisting, you're technically also observing, but I'm sure plenty of people will argue that down to the bone.

Ultimately it all comes down to how you document your dental experiences. Observing, assisting, observing/assisting, or whatever else you want to call it all counts as exposure to dentistry, and that's what dental schools want to see. In any case, the more hours the better.

Go ahead and apply this year, but do it now. In the mean time, get as much observation as you can. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank you very much for all your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't call a 24 AA "decent". That's an excellent score. If you're too modest to call it like it is, you can use words like "solid" but "decent" has implications of mediocrity which are NOT present in your DAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
Your GPA (undergrad) and your DAT are well above average. I would add Iowa to your list of schools and probably the 2 Missouri schools. Take a week, put in 40 hours of shadowing, submit your application. Most schools want a minimum of 60 hours, but with your research and DAT scores, that might be overlooked. I'd still get in your hours in the next week or two if you can though.

Reactions: 1 user
Please don't call a 24 AA "decent". That's an excellent score. If you're too modest to call it like it is, you can use words like "solid" but "decent" has implications of mediocrity which are NOT present in your DAT score.

The reason why I said decent, was because I think my AA is kind of deceiving. I received a 30 on the quant section which i think really really buffered my score. I saw a lot of people with way better orgo and gen chem (I received a 21 and a 20 respectively) sections scoring the same AA or lower. I read that the quant score is the least prioritized out of everything.

Your GPA (undergrad) and your DAT are well above average. I would add Iowa to your list of schools and probably the 2 Missouri schools. Take a week, put in 40 hours of shadowing, submit your application. Most schools want a minimum of 60 hours, but with your research and DAT scores, that might be overlooked. I'd still get in your hours in the next week or two if you can though.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will try to get as much shadowing in as I can.