Anyone's taking PTCB test on Sept? Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rougemarie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've search the forum but I couldn't find the answer that I wanted (moderator, pls feel free to move my post to somewhere else more suitable. Thanks!) I'm studying to take the PTCB test on September to hopefully increase my chance on getting hired. I didn't enroll in any type of program, only borrowing this book from the library & have begun studying a few weeks ago. Am I realistic to learn by myself or does enrollment to a program help a lot?

Also, would anyone mind sharing which areas are mostly tested on PTCB? (i.e. is it mostly calculation, or drug names/substitution, etc?) Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. $120 is a lot more expensive than PCAT, I cannot afford to miss the test :( Many thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

rougemarie said:
Hello,

I've search the forum but I couldn't find the answer that I wanted (moderator, pls feel free to move my post to somewhere else more suitable. Thanks!) I'm studying to take the PTCB test on September to hopefully increase my chance on getting hired. I didn't enroll in any type of program, only borrowing this book from the library & have begun studying a few weeks ago. Am I realistic to learn by myself or does enrollment to a program help a lot?

Also, would anyone mind sharing which areas are mostly tested on PTCB? (i.e. is it mostly calculation, or drug names/substitution, etc?) Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. $120 is a lot more expensive than PCAT, I cannot afford to miss the test :( Many thanks in advance!
Honestly, I found the PTCB test to be a real joke. I never studied for it and did very well. If you've ever worked in the pharmacy before, its a cake walk.

Members don't see this ad :)
JohnHICP said:
Honestly, I found the PTCB test to be a real joke. I never studied for it and did very well. If you've ever worked in the pharmacy before, its a cake walk.

Thanks for your input JohnHICP. The problem is no, I've never worked in the pharmacy before (that's why I'm taking it so that, hopefully, I can increase my chances of getting hired as a technician, as I wrote on my original post) I just don't want to take anything for granted, you know ;)

Pharmagirl, thanks for the link, it's very helpful :thumbup:

You'll do great. I wanted to take it in September, but it's only administered in ten states on that date. I'm not sure it's worth taking a weekend trip to take this exam, so I'll more likely be taking it in November. $120 seems a little pricey as well, but every hospital I've applied to work at as a pharm tech requires certification so it's definitely worth taking.

Where is there a good free and realistic practice test, or just a bunch of practice questions?

I'm not sure about online practice tests, but I just bought "Certification Review for Pharmacy Technicians" by Noah Reifman. This book is awesome -- conscise and informative. It's the only source I'm going to use.

crossjb said:
I'm not sure about online practice tests, but I just bought "Certification Review for Pharmacy Technicians" by Noah Reifman. This book is awesome -- conscise and informative. It's the only source I'm going to use.

second props for the reifman

The people I know who took it waited until the last week to study & didn't have any pharmacy experience. They all passed.

I'm a real cheapie, I refuse to buy any book if I can borrow, same thing w/ PCAT prep :laugh:. Instead, I borrowed one from the library by Patricia K. Anthony (Delmar Learnings). Works for me :thumbup: My local library even have 5 copies of them. Do check your library for what's available.