Quix

Herr Professor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Lake Charles, LA
Status
Academic Administration
I'm filling out secondaries now, and I'm not sure how to proceed with this essay question. I'm pulled in two different directions.

On the one hand: my science GPA isn't stellar (I passed everything, but I have mostly B's and a few C's), so I thought this might be a good place to note that, and explain that while I was taking my core sciences, I was also working 40+ hours a week at the hospital, teaching classes, and researching/writing my doctoral dissertation. In the semester that I wasn't doing these extra activities, my grades went up (B+ in Human Physiology, B in Orgo 2, A- in Lab Physics, A in teaching general chemistry), so the low GPA isn't due to misunderstanding the material or an inability to study and apply the sciences, but primarily due to an inability to devote the time necessary to do well. Since I will not be doing all of these extraneous things in medical school, I don't want to project the image of someone who struggles with the sciences.

On the other hand: I have been working with a clinical research group for the past few months, am the principal investigator on two studies (one on medical decision-making, the other on the efficacy of a particular psychometric in intensive care settings), am writing an ethical analysis of the impact of technology designed to improve cardiopulmonary transplant organ viability, and in the coming months will be working on up to eight chapters for a textbook on critical care (including topics like the genetic impact on critical illness, oliguria, liver and kidney dysfunction, sepsis, complex acid-base disorders, etc.). Human physiology and pathophysiology have never been a problem for me.

So, which direction do you think I ought to follow? Should I try to find some third approach? Or do you think they have something else in mind?

C.P. Jones

Catface Majigger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2005
Status
Why not just say all of that? :confused: I think it will be great to have the big update, and it will be good to explain a "low" gpa if you didn't do so on the primary

OP
Quix

Quix

Herr Professor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Lake Charles, LA
Status
Academic Administration
I'd thought about that, but I'm not sure I can sum it up that succinctly. I could also just be fried from paperwork...

About the Ads

ANCAdoc

10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Quix,

Your profile states that you are an Associate Professor. What made you decide to apply to med school after going so far into academia?

OP
Quix

Quix

Herr Professor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Lake Charles, LA
Status
Academic Administration
IUSM said:
Quix,

Your profile states that you are an Associate Professor. What made you decide to apply to med school after going so far into academia?
I was working at a psych hospital and had gone back for an undergraduate psych degree (I had to have something on paper indicating a structured education in psychology; everything I had learned to that point was ad hoc and secondary to my work in philosophy and ethics). While I was working there I was trained for the code team (BCLS); I had my first code a few months later. One of my patients on the geriatric psych ward went into cardiac and pulmonary arrest, and I ended up doing chest compressions on her for 40 minutes and bagged her for another 5 before the attending called it (she had thrown a clot). I went through another code a few weeks later, when one of my patients on the behavioral health unit tried to hang herself in her bathroom (she was also in full cardiac and pulmonary arrest); I was one of the first team members to get there, and I got her heart started again. My next code was in the driveway of the hospital, when a woman OD'ed on heroin; a coworker and I got her heart started and got her breathing again until the EMT's showed up (at this point, the hospital was full psych and didn't have the facilities to manage her medically). After going through these and talking with the psychiatrists and house docs, I was bitten by the medicine bug and decided to go back for medicine.

ANCAdoc

10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Good story. With your background, I am sure you will get into medical school. Good luck!

--2nd year med student

OP
Quix

Quix

Herr Professor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Lake Charles, LA
Status
Academic Administration
Thanks! I still think that I'll get booted by screeners, though. :(