Anything wrong with my fourth year schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm825

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pretty average anesthesiology applicant (Step 1- 234; honors in IM and FM and HP in everything else) from a Top 30ish west coast MD school. I spoke to my school's program director recently and I asked if he I would be harmed by not doing an anesthesia away, and she said absolutely not. Anyways, I start a 4-week anesthesiology elective beginning tomorrow at my home hospital; I had previously completed a 3-week elective in anesthesiology during my third year at another hospital on our campus. I will have a LOR from my PD as well as hopefully an attending from this upcoming 4-week elective. In addition, I have a LOR from my IM attending

Regarding my fourth year schedule, I have my 4-week anesthesiology elective and a medicine subinternship in September. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to secure an ICU rotation, so instead I am taking a neonatology ICU elective. The rest of my schedule is filled with stuff I find interesting that I'll never really do again (psychiatry) and easy rotations during interview time and during the end-of-the-year.

Will not have a MICU or SICU rotation at all hurt me when it comes to applying to anesthesiology residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, that won't be a problem. With your scores/activities you'll be fine. Ensure the rest of your package is complete (LORs, interview skills, preparedness for answering questions during interviews, etc).

If you have somewhere you're dying to match, obvi try to rotate there and blow them away. Otherwise doesn't matter.

Edit: and focus on learning how to be an intern: managing NVD, placing NG tubes, IV's, pain management, common diseases, insulin, etc.

Edit 2: And after that ... really, really focus on enjoying having freedom of time, cuz once you start PGY1, kiss your luxurious amount of free time good byeeeee

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with above - you have the letters and the requisite experience to discuss on interviews. Programs are too busy to comb through applicants’ specific schedules.

I'm a pretty average anesthesiology applicant (Step 1- 234; honors in IM and FM and HP in everything else) from a Top 30ish west coast MD school. I spoke to my school's program director recently and I asked if he I would be harmed by not doing an anesthesia away, and she said absolutely not. Anyways, I start a 4-week anesthesiology elective beginning tomorrow at my home hospital; I had previously completed a 3-week elective in anesthesiology during my third year at another hospital on our campus. I will have a LOR from my PD as well as hopefully an attending from this upcoming 4-week elective. In addition, I have a LOR from my IM attending

Regarding my fourth year schedule, I have my 4-week anesthesiology elective and a medicine subinternship in September. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to secure an ICU rotation, so instead I am taking a neonatology ICU elective. The rest of my schedule is filled with stuff I find interesting that I'll never really do again (psychiatry) and easy rotations during interview time and during the end-of-the-year.

Will not have a MICU or SICU rotation at all hurt me when it comes to applying to anesthesiology residency?
My schedule had no icu and included a movie watching class along with an integrative Medicine class. I matched. I was only asked about my schedule due to interviewers being interested in the integrative Medicine portion.

Yeah, I don't see forensic pathology in your list. Seriously if your school offers this you should take it. During my rotation, one day they rolled in a chest freezer, cracked it open, and inside was a FROZEN PERSON. Someone had frozen to death in a chest freezer. Looked straight out of a movie. It's an... interesting experience.

My electives were gynae, urology, and FM.

Meh.

I did a a 2-week MS3 rotation, followed by a 4-week senior elective, a month of pedi anesthesia, and a month of cardiac anesthesia. By the time I was done I’d intubated a few hundred people, done 50 or so central lines, countless a lines, etc etc.

Only thing it was good for was making me look like a huge @$$ when I showed up on the first day of residency believing I knew what I was doing.

Enjoy your 4th year. The real work is about to begin.

I did a a 2-week MS3 rotation, followed by a 4-week senior elective, a month of pedi anesthesia, and a month of cardiac anesthesia. By the time I was done I’d intubated a few hundred people, done 50 or so central lines, countless a lines, etc etc.

Only thing it was good for was making me look like a huge @$$ when I showed up on the first day of residency believing I knew what I was doing.

Now you have a whole year to forget everything you’ve ever learned in those 10 weeks.

Whoa what medical school? Our medical students barely get to do anything and its really a shame

Whoa what medical school? Our medical students barely get to do anything and its really a shame

Yeah. I was dismissed around 9a every day of my M4 rotation. When I asked to stay (and they knew I was applying to anesthesiology), I was told "nah, this part is boring".

Ok.......