Anyway to get AAFP questions for FM without membership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have no interest in doing FM so I don't see any reason for me to join the AAFP. However, I've heard the questions are good for the shelf. Are these questions available anywhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no interest in doing FM so I don't see any reason for me to join the AAFP. However, I've heard the questions are good for the shelf. Are these questions available anywhere else?

the AAFP has no questions to offer.

I'm assuming you mean the ABFM (The American Board of Family Medicine) in-training exam questions. You would probably have to buddy up with an FM resident to get them since a login is required on the abfm website...there used to be online board review with free questions, but I think that site is gone now.

as an aside, quite a few non FM folks are members of the AAFP or at least subscribe to the journal - some of the continuing education in their journal (American Family Physician) is very practical and helps people keep in touch with areas of medicine in fields outside of their specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
oops. I stand corrected -- just saw that link on the site...not due to recertify soon so never paid attention.

i just took a look at a few of them. they're ok I suppose. about half of them refer to articles in the American Family Physician journal (AFP) available for free through the AAFP...so while you can't access the higher quality board review style questions without membership, you can at least access the articles and cme quizzes they make available.

AAFP membership is like 15 bucks for (I think) all four years of school. Their journal has pretty great articles on a wide variety of clinical topics. Worth the pennies to me, but YMMV.

NEJM is also worth having, if only for the clinical correlations section. It has more basic science articles than I really care to read though, I usually completely skip those and read only the papers that tell me how to diagnose/treat patients :)

AAFP membership is like 15 bucks for (I think) all four years of school. Their journal has pretty great articles on a wide variety of clinical topics. Worth the pennies to me, but YMMV.

NEJM is also worth having, if only for the clinical correlations section. It has more basic science articles than I really care to read though, I usually completely skip those and read only the papers that tell me how to diagnose/treat patients :)

Their journal is pretty effing amazing. Every issue provides some refresher on some important practical topic in medicine... suturing, management of heart failure, etc. etc. I learn quite a lot from it, even though I will likely not become a family practitioner.