AOA/ACGME accredited programs? What's the deal?

Started by 14970
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1

14970

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm planning to apply for allopathic anesthesiology programs and I'm also considering to do an osteopathic traditional rotating internship. I noticed online that a lot of osteopathic programs are not dually AOA/ACGME approved. What's the deal with that? Does this mean that I would have to do another year for internship if the program is not AOA/ACGME approved? Should I even bother to apply to these programs? 😡 Sorry for being upset, this information is new to me and and I'm so pissed off at my school for not discussing about this matter.

Good time for another drink.
 
No, the ACGME accepts osteopathic internships. You can do an osteopathic internship and go directly into an advanced program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
xampower said:
No, the ACGME accepts osteopathic internships. You can do an osteopathic internship and go directly into an advanced program.


Or you can search for dually accredited programs......................
 
If you want to get into an ACGME accredited program, make sure to check that your internship pathway is acceptable.....

I would forget about doing an osteopathic internship.
 
I would rather not do an osteopathic internship but I may plan to live in Pennsylvania in the future...Anyone from the east coast know what osteopathic programs are acceptable for credit at allopathic residencies?
 
Toast said:
I would rather not do an osteopathic internship but I may plan to live in Pennsylvania in the future...Anyone from the east coast know what osteopathic programs are acceptable for credit at allopathic residencies?


You can still get licensed in PA even if you do an allo internship....You just have to take the exam to get your license....from my understanding, it is pretty easy to pass.
 
If you want to do an allo residency....go allo the whole way....so you don't have to worry about licensing.,...meeting requirements...etc.
 
militarymd said:
If you want to do an allo residency....go allo the whole way....so you don't have to worry about licensing.,...meeting requirements...etc.


It has not been a problem for anyone I know, including myself, to do an osteo tranny year and then enter into an acgme advanced anesthesiology spot. I'm licensed by the AOA and must pass the ABA's reqs to become a board certified practicing anesthesiologist.

From the archives of my frizzled memory I believe the ABA clearly delineates that it accepts osteopathic intern years. That is if they meet the reqs for rotations allowed (no more than one month of anes, etc.). Applies for allo intern years as well.

Of course, you should ask your respective programs of interest for piece o' mind.

See you suckers at the ASA.
 
VentdependenT said:
It has not been a problem for anyone I know, including myself, to do an osteo tranny year and then enter into an acgme advanced anesthesiology spot. I'm licensed by the AOA and must pass the ABA's reqs to become a board certified practicing anesthesiologist.

From the archives of my frizzled memory I believe the ABA clearly delineates that it accepts osteopathic intern years. That is if they meet the reqs for rotations allowed (no more than one month of anes, etc.). Applies for allo intern years as well.

Of course, you should ask your respective programs of interest for piece o' mind.

See you suckers at the ASA.

You may get into your residency, but I believe there may be state licensing issues that could be a problem depending on what type of internship you do?
 
You may get into your residency, but I believe there may be state licensing issues that could be a problem depending on what type of internship you do?

Only if you do an allopathic internship.

That being said it doesn't really matter too much if you do an AOA or ACGME internship. There is a "loophole" called Resolution 42 that allows you to apply for AOA approval for an ACGME internship that requires the standard AOA hoop jumps (extensive intern PD letter describing all of your rotations in detail, attendance to an AOA sponsored CME, letter state "special circumstances" regarding why you didn't choose an AOA internship, sacrifice of a brown goat.. unless its the second Tuesday of a month with odd days in which case the goat must be white..they definitely make it as easy for you as possible to promote osteopathic unity 🙄 )
 
If you do an osteopathic internship, can you go straight to you CA-1 year, or do you have to do a transitional year first, then go to you CA-1 year?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
joshua_msu said:
If you do an osteopathic internship, can you go straight to you CA-1 year, or do you have to do a transitional year first, then go to you CA-1 year?


osteo internship is a transition year. If you do one and match to an advanced position for your anes residency then you may go straight into your CA-1 year.

MMD is right about that state thing. If you do an allo intern year or allo categorical then you have to have your first year approved by the AOA if you want to practice in those 5 states. Florida, Michigan, and I don't remember x 3.
 
me454555 said:
Do they care what state you get the goat from or do they have to be purchased in one of the "5 special states"?

Only the brown goats need to be purchased in the 5 special states. The whites can come from anywhere (although I think the AOA puts special status on goats from North Dakota...not sure exactly why).

[edit: almost started talking about the black goats before realizing we're only talking about the brown and white ones..]
 
VentdependenT said:
osteo internship is a transition year. If you do one and match to an advanced position for your anes residency then you may go straight into your CA-1 year.

MMD is right about that state thing. If you do an allo intern year or allo categorical then you have to have your first year approved by the AOA if you want to practice in those 5 states. Florida, Michigan, and I don't remember x 3.


Is it more competitive to match to a advanced position than to match to a program that includes the internship year?
 
VentdependenT said:
osteo internship is a transition year. If you do one and match to an advanced position for your anes residency then you may go straight into your CA-1 year.

MMD is right about that state thing. If you do an allo intern year or allo categorical then you have to have your first year approved by the AOA if you want to practice in those 5 states. Florida, Michigan, and I don't remember x 3.


Is it more competitive to match to a advanced position than to match to a program that includes the internship year?
 
Disse said:
Only the brown goats need to be purchased in the 5 special states. The whites can come from anywhere (although I think the AOA puts special status on goats from North Dakota...not sure exactly why).

[edit: almost started talking about the black goats before realizing we're only talking about the brown and white ones..]


Why does everyone have to make fun of my state? Why not Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming etc.... Even the movies do it. 🙁
 
wertyjoe said:
Why does everyone have to make fun of my state? Why not Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming etc.... Even the movies do it. 🙁


Whose making fun of North Dakota? Obviously their goats are very important!
( 😛 )
 
joshua_msu said:
Is it more competitive to match to a advanced position than to match to a program that includes the internship year?


You sacrifice your odds of matching bny ranking only advanced positions. I cannot comment if advanced positions are intrinsically more competitive though.