AOA Approved Internships and Residencies and Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clinicall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for some of you. I was browsing the AOA approved residencies and noticed that in specialties there are school names (LECOM, PCOM) in some of the program names. Some examples below.

PCOM/Aria Health - Emergency Medicine Residency
SCS/MSUCOM/Oakwood Healthcare System Osteo Div - Internship Training
SCS/MSUCOM/McLaren Greater Lansing - Anesthesiology Residency

Are these specific programs that only allow those students in those specific schools can apply? As in if I go to MSUCOM I can apply to the MSUCOM programs, but if I go to NSU, I cannot? I'm curious because I may want to do emergency medicine or anesthesia. Maybe I am confusing these with something else. If someone could let me know it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question for some of you. I was browsing the AOA approved residencies and noticed that in specialties there are school names (LECOM, PCOM) in some of the program names. Some examples below.

Are these specific programs that only allow those students in those specific schools can apply? As in if I go to MSUCOM I can apply to the MSUCOM programs, but if I go to NSU, I cannot? I'm curious because I may want to do emergency medicine or anesthesia. Maybe I am confusing these with something else. If someone could let me know it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Those are residencies in the schools OPTI network, you don't have to be a student of the school to do the residency. As of right now as long as you're a DO student you can do the residency, however by the time you apply for residency all residencies will be open to both MD and DO students.

Those are programs affiliated with those schools through the school's OPTIs. Its just like going to a UCLA, Penn State, Temple University, etc. residency program. It's not exclusive to the grads of those schools, its just sponsored by those schools. You can verify this by looking at the list of residents in those programs and seeing that they come from a variety of med schools.

ACGME EM and Anesthesia are relatively DO friendly and there are plenty of DO EM programs, so I wouldn't be worried.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if they give preference to graduates for those schools? Thanks for the replies guys.

Do you know if they give preference to graduates for those schools? Thanks for the replies guys.

The answers are mixed. Officially, no, but practically, yes. If those programs belong to a specific school's OPTI, then that usually means that the schools regularly send students to those sites for rotations in 3rd and 4th year. Rotating at a location inherently increases your chances to match there, especially in the DO world, because generally programs will choose applicants they are familiar with.

In addition, the school faculty, staff, admins, etc. will have a higher likelihood of knowing the program's PD or faculty members, and some may even be faculty or mentors for medical students at the school. This inherently makes the process easier. To give an example: I had to do a patient experience at a specific hospital that houses an affiliated residency this year (MS2). The physician I was with was a prominent faculty member of the program. It would be easy for me to do a rotation with them, keep in contact with them, etc., and that would make it easy for me to say in 4th year explain how I'm applying to their program, and maybe secure an interview there. If the school wasn't affiliated with the program, I likely wouldn't even have my patient experience there.