AOA internship with ACGME advanced

Started by lylengeit8
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lylengeit8

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I'm a 4th year medical student. I have a question regarding the match and how to submit the rank order lists. As of now, I'm planning on applying to AOA approved intership year and ACGME advanced and categorical in Anesthesiology. My questions is how do you guys get an AOA internship with ACGME advanced anesthesiology? It is my current understanding that if you match in the AOA you are automatically withdrawn from the ACGME match. So does that mean that if I match for AOA internship I won't have a chance to match for ACGME approved categorical or advanced position?

Does this mean that I shouldn't participate in the AOA match and have to scramble for and internship position?

help please.
 
According to the NRMP:

Applicants who participate in the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Match are prohibited from participating in the NRMP Match for concurrent year positions. The earlier schedule of the AOA Match allows applicants to compete for an osteopathic position and, if unsuccessful, to participate in the NRMP. The AOA informs the NRMP of the dual participants who have matched into an osteopathic program, and those individuals are withdrawn automatically from the NRMP Match for concurrent year PGY-1 and PGY-2 positions.

This suggests that if you match in the AOA to a PGY-1 only spot, that you could still stay in the NRMP for a PGY-2 spot.

However:
1. You should make sure that this is true by contacting the NRMP

AND

2. You should be 100% sure that your anesthesia programs will recognize your osteopathic internship. The ABA will for board certification, but the last thing you need is a problem with credentialing or a training license. I doubt this will be a problem -- perhaps others that have gone this route can chime in.