AOA Residency, AMA Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so maybe someone can help me with this. I'm considering IM for residency and if I match at my school's program, I'll be happy, however what if I want to do a fellowship in an AMA program, would being a DO program's graduate hinder me from doing that? Also, what about hospital priviledges, would being a DO residency graduate prevent me getting priviledges at hospitals affiliated with MD residency programs? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

1) We had an interventional radiologist give a lecture who did his rad residency at an AOA site and did his fellowship at an ACGME site. So, it's possible.

2) My hometown, York, PA, has a traditionally osteo hospital and a traditionally allo hospital. I know an ER physician who did his residency at the AOA approved site and went on to work as an attending at the allo site which has many ACGME residencies. He was actually the department head for a number of years. So again, it's more than possible.

Hey everyone, so maybe someone can help me with this. I'm considering IM for residency and if I match at my school's program, I'll be happy, however what if I want to do a fellowship in an AMA program, would being a DO program's graduate hinder me from doing that?

Probably not. As long as your schools program is a strong one with a good reputation. Also, try to see if you can schedule away months to rotate at sites where you want to apply for fellowship.

Also, what about hospital priviledges, would being a DO residency graduate prevent me getting priviledges at hospitals affiliated with MD residency programs?

Not at all, unless you sleep with the wrong people

Thanks for the help!

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
it depends what you mean by hinder. Obviously you will potentially have an easier time at a top notch allopathic residency. but I know 3 residents who came from a top notch osteopathic residency who are currently in allopathic fellowships.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It makes me feel better that if I match at my school's program, it won't prevent me from practicing anyqhere. Does any know of a website or something the American Board of Internal Medicine that discusses how hospital priviledges work?

Thanks for the replies everyone. It makes me feel better that if I match at my school's program, it won't prevent me from practicing anyqhere. Does any know of a website or something the American Board of Internal Medicine that discusses how hospital priviledges work?

What do you want to know about privelages?

You could ask in the IMED forum to see how some of those people went about it...but Im not sure what info youre looking for... :confused:

Here is some info I received from the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM), hope it helps others as it helped me!

Hello, I am a third year medical student at an Osteopathic Medical School (DO). I'm interested in pursuing Internal Medicine for residency and there are both DO and MD Residency Programs I'm looking into to continue my training. My questions are these: If I go through a DO (AOA) Internal Medicine Residency program, will I be eligible to take the Certification exam from the ABIM? If so, what are some of the advantages of being certified by the ABIM compared to the AOBIM (American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine)? Thank you for the info

ABIM Response:

Dear Dr. XXXXXXX (it's nice they addressed me as Dr. :D and I'm not even a 4th year yet):

Thank you for your inquiry. If the osteopathic internship was completed in an institution that has an ACGME accredited internal medicine residency (that is, dually accredited AOA/ACGME program), it is possible that upon petition to the ABIM, month-for month credit can be granted for rotations that are supervised by the ACGME accredited program and identical to the rotations taken by the internal medicine residents in the ACGME accredited program. The Board would need to review the rotations and supporting documentation from the ACGME accredited internal medicine program at that institution to determine how much credit could be granted.

Otherwise, credit is not granted for osteopathic training toward fulfilling the requirements for admission to the Certification Examination in Internal Medicine, since only postgraduate training that has been accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education or training completed in Canada and accredited either by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or by the Professional Corporation of Physicians of Quebec, can be credited toward the Board's requirements.

I trust this is helpful.

So you want to do an AOA residency but then take the ACGME exam? I dont understand the point in doing that.

So you want to do an AOA residency but then take the ACGME exam? I dont understand the point in doing that.

No, not necessarily, I just wanted to see what were the policies behind each certification process. Just a point of clarification that's all.

I also emailed the AOBIM asking the same question except in the opposite way (i.e. if I do an ACGME residency, will I be able to take the AOBIM certification exam?)...no response yet.

We've got a cardiology fellow now at our Osteopathic program who did an ACGME IM program.

I also know folks who did an Osteo IM program and are now doing ACGME fellowships. I'm sure it is somewhat program specific, but it definitely is possible in both directions.