Matched OBGYN / AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Making this thread for no other reason than I never see one about OB, and this forum sometimes lack any real help about the specialty. There may be zero interest in this, and thats fine. Just wanted to provide the access if there is!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First off congrats!
1. What were your stats (scores, honors, class quartile, etc)?
2. Did you do aways and what was the mindset (i.e. LOR, vibe check of the program, trying gain an II?)
3. Did you have research experience/pubs?
4. When choosing programs to apply, did you get interviews from any without prior history of DO residents?
5. Did you match at an academic or community program?
6. One piece of advice to DOs applying this year you wish you knew earlier?

First off congrats!
1. What were your stats (scores, honors, class quartile, etc)?
2. Did you do aways and what was the mindset (i.e. LOR, vibe check of the program, trying gain an II?)
3. Did you have research experience/pubs?
4. When choosing programs to apply, did you get interviews from any without prior history of DO residents?
5. Did you match at an academic or community program?
6. One piece of advice to DOs applying this year you wish you knew earlier?
1. 51X / 58X comlex. Did not take step. Top 25%, honored all but one third year rotation. Class President.

2. I did not do any aways. My classmates did - some of them to get interviews and to look good, others to get letters. AKA some did them early to try and get good LORs, others did them late to show off during interview season and to get interviews.

3. No, not really. I have research from undergrad, and I have two case presentations, but that was it.

4. I did not apply to any programs that did not have DOs already in their resident list somewhere. I even cut programs that have had DO residents in the past, but none currently. I only applied to 60 programs.

5. I matched at a university based-community program. I had interviews at places as big as the University of Oklahoma though.

6. I have a couple pieces of advice. First and foremost, you do not have to apply to 100 programs. If you really take the time to research programs, it is not very had to figure out where your most high yield applications are and vice versa, where you are wasting your time at. Granted, this all depends on your competitiveness as well. Secondly, I strongly think that your personal statement matters significantly. Third, I think the token system is pointless so do not put a whole bunch of weight into it. I think it helps top tier applicants more than middle or bottom of the road applicants. I think only two people that did an audition rotation matched at a program that they did an audition at, and even one of those was a couples match. I think auditions are helpful for LORS and interview numbers, but not necessarily matching at said place if that makes sense. I also think pre-interview dinners are important.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the info! Best of luck with residency!

Congratulations on matching! I'll be applying for the 2024 match cycle and your advice above is already helpful. I have a few other questions.

1. Do you know anyone that didn't match and was there a reason they think they didn't match (low board scores, not great LORs, didn't cast a wide enough net, etc)? I'm a little intimidated by the 60-something % match rate for DOs into the specialty and just wanting to set myself up for success as best as possible. I feel like for every story I hear of someone not matching for a legitimate reason I hear another story of someone with an awesome application not matching, just wondering if obgyn tends to swing one way or the other in that arena.
2. When you were interviewing at programs, were there any questions you asked to assess the culture/"malignancy" at a program?
3. Any other interview tips for success?
4. I'm a male student - just wondering if anyone has any advice about being a male applicant to this specialty.

Thanks so much in advance!

Congratulations on matching! I'll be applying for the 2024 match cycle and your advice above is already helpful. I have a few other questions.

1. Do you know anyone that didn't match and was there a reason they think they didn't match (low board scores, not great LORs, didn't cast a wide enough net, etc)? I'm a little intimidated by the 60-something % match rate for DOs into the specialty and just wanting to set myself up for success as best as possible. I feel like for every story I hear of someone not matching for a legitimate reason I hear another story of someone with an awesome application not matching, just wondering if obgyn tends to swing one way or the other in that arena.
2. When you were interviewing at programs, were there any questions you asked to assess the culture/"malignancy" at a program?
3. Any other interview tips for success?
4. I'm a male student - just wondering if anyone has any advice about being a male applicant to this specialty.

Thanks so much in advance!
I am male, and I believe @PapaGuava is as well.

1. I think as a male, you are wanted in the field in general terms…but I also feel like there’s a slight stigma against males as well. It’s an interesting balance. They want males, but they want the right males. They want males that they believe can make women / patients feel comfortable with male presence in any scenario, and that you’re there for the right reasons. That’s at least how I felt. Another male in my class matched OB with a 46X and a 49X comlex score. He did 5 auditions and those were his only interviews, and he matched. I heard multiple times during interviews “it takes the right kind of male to be successful in this field.”
2. As far as not matching goes, I can only speak of the people in my class. One guy who didn’t match, simply didn’t have the board scores…he had a low 400s comlex level 1 but a 600+ level 2. He P’d USMLE step 1 and 240+ Step 2. The other girl in my class had good, good scores and she didn’t match. The only reason I think she didn’t match was because of her personality. She can be described as aggressive and straightforward / blunt. I think if this process has taught me anything, it’s that truly, your personality can make or break you.
3. I didn’t try to figure out malignant programs from non-malignant, honestly. Because it didn’t matter to me. Knowing OB for DOs has a lower match rate, I wanted to match. If I end up somewhere accidentally malignant, that’s fine. It’s only 4 years. I did ask questions like, “what’s a resource you don’t have that you wish you did” or “if I have a family emergency, how does this program handle it.” I think those two alone are really good, vague questions that can assess malignancy though. If a program says “they have all the resources” then that’s probably a bad sign or that they handle family emergencies in a horrible way, probably not a good sign. I had one program tell me that the resource they needed was an extra resident because of how much work there was and how their residents would probably appreciate more than one golden weekend off a month. To note, I didn’t love that response.
4. Interview tips: be yourself. I mean be your true self. I personally didn’t rehearse questions and answers and whatever whatever. I just answered truthfully the first thing that came to my mind. Sometimes you’ll need a minute to think, and it’s totally okay to ask for that minute. It shows that you’re thoughtful and reflective…just don’t take too long cause then it’s weird lol

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
@BoneHurtingJuice

I completely agree with Rogue in terms of males entering the field. The fact of the matter is, it will never be a 50/50 male:female ratio again just because the nature of the field has a changed a ton over the last 30 years as well as general demographics. However, it does not mean there isn't a place for male phyisicans in this amazing field, but Rogue is right, you have to fit the field as a male. Most programs (not all) are willing to interview male applicants especially if your stats are where they need to be as well. I personally didn't have any negative interactions throughout my away rotations or during interviews. It truly depends on your personality as well because this field requires a certain type of care and certain type of people whether you be female or male.

As for competitiveness, OB/GYN in general is competitive for DOs as well as with increasing board scores. If you score in the 550s-650s on COMLEX and the 230s+ on Step, you are sitting pretty in regards to your scores. The rest will then depend on your passion for the field and how you well interview. I personally matched at an Academic OB/GYN program as a DO and male. I took both COMLEX and USMLE. I was the only male from my cohort to match OBGYN, but our school did well this year having a bunch match. Actually, a few more DOs overall matched OBGYN than last year I think by like 1% or so, so there is positive vibes!!

You will do well if you keep grinding and stay ahead of the game when applying. Reach out to programs, make the effort to personalize certain personal statements for your special programs etc. It all goes a long way and it all depends on your effort level. I'm excited for Rogue and I's future!!!

[Not to take away from Rogue's thread at all but I wanted to chime in since he tagged me.]

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on matching!

I am a rising 4th year applying OB . How important is research to ob/gyn programs. I sadly do not have any research and I know having it would be a plus for my application … but would it be a negative to not have any research at all ?

Congrats on matching!

I am a rising 4th year applying OB . How important is research to ob/gyn programs. I sadly do not have any research and I know having it would be a plus for my application … but would it be a negative to not have any research at all ?
I don’t think research really matters unless perhaps you were trying for John Hopkins or something.

Does not affect you at all in my opinion to not have research

Reactions: 1 user