"AOA Status" regarding residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pilot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was reviewing residency info on medschool.com I noticed a section on all residencies titled "AOA Status". For very competitive residencies this section stated "Highly recommended. Required for competitive programs." Non-competitive programs stated "Not essential for matching", and those in between stated "Recommended for competitive programs, but not essential for matching. Can anyone explain what "AOA Status" is? Does it have anything to do with DO students taking the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX? I haven't started DO school yet, and this will probably be explained during orientation week, but any info I could get now would be appreciated. Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

The AOA they are talking about is a medical honor society. I do not think DO students are eligible for membership. I do not know why this is, but I would not worry about too much.

It is my understanding that DO schools have an analogous honor society.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. I would assume that if am able to join the DO version of AOA, then I shouldn't expect any tougher than normal problems getting a competitive residency if I want to.

AOA: Alpha Omega Alpha. It is by invitation only and only for MD students.
The DO honor society that is by invitation only (during your second year of med school and this is NOT Sigma Sigma Phi, which is a different honor society for the top 1/3 of the class) is not that well recognized by the ACGME residencies.

I dont remember the name. I am not a member. It should be in your school catalogue.