The AOA thinks you are really dumb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWBD

Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

To summarize, an osteopathic student who was urged by a surgeon mentor to pursue a surgery residency rather than IM did not Match or SOAP into a categorical surgical program anywhere. However, thanks to the herculean efforts of her osteopathic school and the glowing endorsement of the aforementioned mentor she defied the odds and successfully was able to gain entry into...(checks notes)...a preliminary surgery year? Which usually has unfilled spots anyway? I suppose if the 'specialty of her dreams' is a one-year reprieve from being unemployed, then congratulations I guess?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Did I read correctly she only applied to ONE categorical program? I was only able to skim the article right now

Reactions: 1 user
Lol. Well, wish her the best and hope she can match categorical this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did I read correctly she only applied to ONE categorical program? I was only able to skim the article right now
I read it. She applied to two programs. Got one interview. Then cancelled her IM interviews. Unless it was left out of the article, did she really do all of this based off of one gen surg rotation? And it doesn’t even look like her school helped her at all. She just saw an opening online.

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
I read it. She applied to two programs. Got one interview. Then cancelled her IM interviews. Unless it was left out of the article, did she really do all of this based off of one gen surg rotation? And it doesn’t even look like her school helped her at all. She just saw an opening online.
Two programs? God some people live under a rock

Article should be titled: “Due to terrible advising, med student ends up in position that couldn’t fill in the soap. Has to reapply for desired career.”

Reactions: 17 users
The AOA likes to crap your head and expects you to say "thanks for the hat good sir!"

If someone does something dumb in medical school it is almost completely due to ignorance in 2021. Everything has already been discussed ad nauseum on here or Reddit or whatever. There are probably zero secrets to succeeding in med school or residency applications.

And yet, everyone knows classmates that have no idea wtf is going on. It's like in some people's minds the internet doesn't exist which is strange because they are entering a profession that is basically saying I have no idea what's going on but I'll use the internet to figure it out for complicated situations lol

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
“Checks notes”

I’m dead.

First post is SDN gold lol.

It’s actually amazing how dumb people can be regarding the match, especially to anything remotely competitive. Unfortunately I have met far too many people like the woman in the article.

Edit: Ok I just read the actual article. That story is brutal. I have no idea how anyone can read that and think of it as a victory, it might be the most DO article I've ever read.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
First post is SDN gold lol.

It’s actually amazing how dumb people can be regarding the match, especially to anything remotely competitive. Unfortunately I have met far too many people like the woman in the article.

Edit: Ok I just read the actual article. That story is brutal. I have no idea how anyone can read that and think of it as a victory, it might be the most DO article I've ever read.

Remind me of a reddit post that went along the lines of “i failed comlex my first try, but i came back and got 450! i will still try to match neurosurgery. Dont ever give up on your dreams!”

And everyone commented congratulating her and telling her she was so brave and inspirational

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
1633782871942.png

This is my favorite line. Really gives insight into the darkness that is a preceptor's mind. "Testing her" hahahahaha

• Haha
Does anyone else find it odd that if the surgeon preceptor was truly as accomplished as he was ("Dr. Curley is a world-renowned fellowship trained surgical oncologist, who practiced at MD Anderson"), he wasn't able to call around and get more surgery interviews for his mentee? Despite saying "she is clearly one of the best trainees I have encountered in over 30 years as an academic surgeon", he wasn't able to provide better advising?

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
This would be on par with "DO resident administered life saving cranial in an ICU setting"

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I'm willing to bet that this article was written by non-medical employees in TCOM's marketing department, and then recycled by non-medical employees in the AOA's marketing department. The story's upbeat tone would only make sense to someone who has zero familiarity with surgical career paths and residency training.

Reactions: 9 users
I'm willing to bet that this article was written by non-medical employees in TCOM's marketing department, and then recycled by non-medical employees in the AOA's marketing department. The story's upbeat tone would only make sense to someone who has zero familiarity with surgical career paths and residency training.
So…the majority of premeds

• Haha
If someone does something dumb in medical school it is almost completely due to ignorance in 2021. Everything has already been discussed ad nauseum on here or Reddit or whatever. There are probably zero secrets to succeeding in med school or residency applications.

And yet, everyone knows classmates that have no idea wtf is going on. It's like in some people's minds the internet doesn't exist which is strange because they are entering a profession that is basically saying I have no idea what's going on but I'll use the internet to figure it out for complicated situations lol
Time and again I've run into this. I don't know if I just spent too much time on SDN or what, but the advising is such crap in DO school, and med students themselves are shocked about really basic things. I've talked about this before, but I remember one who didn't realize residencies were a thing as an M1, an M2 who had no idea that DOs take different licensing exams, an M3 that thought they could just show up perform surgery on a patient their first day of a rotation, another M3 that had no idea its wasn't wise to only apply to a handful of programs, and an M4 that genuinely thought they could, you know, practice medicine without a license or GME (unlike the M1 they realized residencies were a thing, but didn't want to do it and they thought they could just "hang a shingle" straight out of school).

The thing that amazes me is that they all had not just applied to medical school, but they all had committed to this long, expensive, massive loan-ridden road with very little understanding of the mechanics of how the system works. SDN and even reddit really do have so much info, it's hard to imagine how they could get to that point without realizing some of those things. As far as advisors and mentors, the vast majority are out of touch with how things work now. Some come from an era where all they had to do was apply to a couple of programs and that was it, they were guaranteed a spot. I'm not even that far out from the process and I'm involved in recruitment, but the system has changed a lot even since I applied to residency.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Time and again I've run into this. I don't know if I just spent too much time on SDN or what, but the advising is such crap in DO school, and med students themselves are shocked about really basic things. I've talked about this before, but I remember one who didn't realize residencies were a thing as an M1, an M2 who had no idea that DOs take different licensing exams, an M3 that thought they could just show up perform surgery on a patient their first day of a rotation, another M3 that had no idea its wasn't wise to only apply to a handful of programs, and an M4 that genuinely thought they could, you know, practice medicine without a license or GME (unlike the M1 they realized residencies were a thing, but didn't want to do it and they thought they could just "hang a shingle" straight out of school).

The thing that amazes me is that they all had not just applied to medical school, but they all had committed to this long, expensive, massive loan-ridden road with very little understanding of the mechanics of how the system works. SDN and even reddit really do have so much info, it's hard to imagine how they could get to that point without realizing some of those things. As far as advisors and mentors, the vast majority are out of touch with how things work now. Some come from an era where all they had to do was apply to a couple of programs and that was it, they were guaranteed a spot. I'm not even that far out from the process and I'm involved in recruitment, but the system has changed a lot even since I applied to residency.
I don't think it's a DO advising thing, my school actually has good advising by MD's who have been through this process. These people just sound like they Iive under a rock, it's not on the school.