AOA vs. AMA Neurosurgery residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO chooser

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard from Surgeons in practice that the percieved level of training for AOA residencies is gravely inferior to AMA residencies. I was wondering if anyone here has heard of differences among the AOA residencies (I believe there are 9) themselves. Personally, I have heard that the ones in SF, NYC and Bloomington, IL are the cream of the crops among AOA residencies. How do these rank among AMA residencies?

If anyone knows where any of this information may be, please let me know.

Also, when is a good time to start getting contacts among the Neurosurgeons. I have one or two now, but Chicago has a lot of them. Getting to know some residency directors would be of some help. I was going to plan on shadowing some of these people this summer. Any recommendations on how many times I should see any particular surgeon before they get tired of bothering with you?

Luckily, I know somebody who knows a lot of neurosurgeons personally. Do most people who try neuro residencies have someone on the inside like this?

Any help or advice will be appreciated. BTW, I am an MS-1 at CCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Do any allopathic neurosurgery residencies even accept DOs?

Yes and some accept IMG's as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course they accept DOs. Times are changing. The first was back in 1986 actually, but it has been increasing as of lately. I know I have a good shot at MD and DO residencies(based on people I have talked to). The more important factor will be where you are happiest.

Having connections helps immensely, and many people at the top programs (Brigham, Columbia, Hopkins, Pitt, UVa.....) have connections in addition to being great candidates.

I did not come accross a DO in the application process, but I believe occasionally a DO does match sucessfully. Having such a degree would however preclude you from the aforementioned first tier program...I did not meet a single osteopathic resident or applicant during any of my interviews.

You can see all the neurosurgery matches for the past couple of years on this website. It also lists their medical schools. At first glance I found one D.O. in the 2002 list - PCOM graduate doing his residency at MUSC. There are a couple with no medical school listed so those could be Osteopathic medical students or FMG's -- don't know.

But hey, with a 80 -90% match rate seems like everybody's got a good chance of doing neurosurgery.

What are some really good AOA Neurosurg residencies.

The match report for US (allopathic) seniors is 85%, the overall match-rate was 62% this year according to my match report.

Lipoyl, (Or anyone) Can you elaborate on that stat? Does that mean that 85% of US Seniors landed a Neuro surg spot?

Without having my sheet in front of me to crunch the numbers, I believe it meant that 85% of all US srs who submitted rank lists match. By contrast the overall match rate (including FMG's, ? osteopaths....)was 62%. The mean Step I score was 234; About one-fifth were MD/Ph.D's, and another fifth were members of AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha). All-in-all I think it was a self-selecting group of applicants....I met a lot of very solid applicants on the trail.

Hello DO Chooser,

I am a graduate of CCOM and currently a resident in an osteopathic neurosurgery program. Feel free to e-mail at the address below and I can give you more insight regarding my experiences with DO vs. MD programs and the application process.

Ryan
[email protected]