Comparison of Neurosurgery Program "Personalities"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NapoleonBonaparte

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would anyone care to describe the "personalities" of MGH, UCSF, Stanford, and Columbia for neurosurgery specifically? (I know they are all top programs so I'm more talk about what each program focuses on)

It seems MGH and Stanford lean heavily towards allowing free time for research (at the cost of some operative exposure) while UCSF and Columbia are more a middle ground of research and operative exposure? Would this be correct?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would characterize them all as very heavily didactic and research focused. If I'm not mistaken UCSF has a full non-operative day a week for conferences, research, etc (or at least they did a decade ago when I was a student).

Thanks for the reply. Would you characterize the above mentioned programs as some of the most academic research friendly programs for neurosurgery? If not are there any others I should know about?