AOBP vs ABP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO2015CA

Fellow - PGY5
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My program pays for AOBP. I will be doing outpatient gen peds with nursery. Thoughts on me paying for and taking ABP? I am curious as to other's point of view. With my program already paying for one I am torn if I should take ABP as well. I know ABP will give me more options for my CME, but what other advantages are there for a general pediatrician that has no interest in fellowship or hospital medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

If you really have no plans in pursuing fellowship, then it probably doesn't matter. If you plan on being in practice for yourself, then it really doesn't matter. The only caveat I see is if you work for a private practice group like Pediatrix. Now, you almost always have to be board eligible/certified. I would assume that the AOBP would cover that requirement, but I don't know enough to say definitely. You could always reach out to them just to make sure.

If you really have no plans in pursuing fellowship, then it probably doesn't matter. If you plan on being in practice for yourself, then it really doesn't matter. The only caveat I see is if you work for a private practice group like Pediatrix. Now, you almost always have to be board eligible/certified. I would assume that the AOBP would cover that requirement, but I don't know enough to say definitely. You could always reach out to them just to make sure.

Ya it’s a board certification. Prior to the merger, all AOA grads were taking AOBP and no one was having trouble getting jobs in gen peds (except maybe elite practices) even in states like Cali.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then I guess that answers your question.
Im leaning towards taking it just because im worried with dwindling AOBP members that the board may dissolve. Probably 100% unfounded but those are the type of worries that go through my brain lol

Im leaning towards taking it just because im worried with dwindling AOBP members that the board may dissolve. Probably 100% unfounded but those are the type of worries that go through my brain lol
Oh, well, I don’t know what it would mean if the board dissolves. Though I imagine if that were to happen, they would have some sort of contingency plan on what their members could do.

I didn’t even know thats an option still... Are you at an old aoa program or something?

Either way, I want nothing to do with an osteopathic board for as long as I live. Don’t you remember how joyous you felt once you finished level 3? Be free my friend. Take the ABP
Yes a previous AOA. They will pay for AOBP but I can't replace that with ABP.

I see your pickle.... hmm I dunno, from your posts it sounds like ABP would relieve any ‘what if’ worries. Though, I totally get the $ argument.
ya and I think I'm leaning that way. What's another 2 exact same exams with different question writers lol. Just wanted to see if anyone more knowledgeable on the subject could weigh in. Either "yes you definitely need to take ABP because of XYZ" or "Nah it will be an absolute way of time and money for outpatient gen peds"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
ya and I think I'm leaning that way. What's another 2 exact same exams with different question writers lol. Just wanted to see if anyone more knowledgeable on the subject could way in. Either "yes you definitely need to take ABP because of XYZ" or "Nah it will be an absolute way of time and money for outpatient gen peds"
Board certification doesn’t really mean much from an outpatient practice standpoint. It literally is something up can write on your advertisements for your practice and that’s about it. Since you have an AOBP certification, you’d still be able to write board certified. It really doesn’t mean much. I’m not convinced even patients care.

Hi what resources did you guys use to study for the AOBP? I did an MD residency but am a DO and thinking about doing the AOBP

Hi what resources did you guys use to study for the AOBP? I did an MD residency but am a DO and thinking about doing the AOBP
Similar to steps/comlex. Use the same resources as ABP then do TrueLearn OMM questions

Ooh I totally forgot about true learn OMM! Great point! Will do! Thanks!