AP Calc.

WolverineFadi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I am in a dilemma right now. I am currently a junior in High school right now, I have the GPA I was aiming for, I have the ACT score I wanted and I just kind of want to take an easy senior year. Currently, I signed up for Physics (for some background before going into college) and AP Bio (I only took normal bio and didn't learn anything in that class... I figured going into college with no good Bio knowledge would result in my butt getting kicked lol). Now my dilemma is basically whether I should take Calc or not. Pre-Calc was really difficult for me and I currently have a B- in that class. Not only that, but I felt like I really worked my butt off to earn that B- and I can only imagine what AP Calc would be like. I realize that I have to take Calc eventually but I really just want to relax my senior year (I hope I don't sound lazy :p).

Pro's of taking Calc in HS:
- I heard it's really difficult in college
- Getting help in Calc is easy in high school with help such as Math Lab available.
- I can take calc once in HS and just skip Calc 1 in college or if I fail the AP Test, I can take calc in college and it will be an easy A considering I already did all that stuff the year before.

To sum it all up, I need someone to help me out in my decision or tell me about their experience regarding AP Calc or a situation similar to this.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: How many calc/math classes are required by med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't take it. It's your senior year, and you can't always live for the future. Chillax and hang out with friends more.

Re: math for med school, most schools have either no formal requirement or have maybe one semester. Duke (which is the most stringent I know of) has a requirement for 1 year of calc and a statistics course. There's a book called the MSAR that gives every schools' pre-reqs. It's very handy, and I'm sure it will be in your college's library.

Don't take it. It's your senior year, and you can't always live for the future. Chillax and hang out with friends more.

Re: math for med school, most schools have either no formal requirement or have maybe one semester. Duke (which is the most stringent I know of) has a requirement for 1 year of calc and a statistics course. There's a book called the MSAR that gives every schools' pre-reqs. It's very handy, and I'm sure it will be in your college's library.

Thanks man. You have no idea how much that sentence hit me. If Calc 1/Calc 2 is all I need for med school then I'm sure I'll be fine taking it in college.

The only problem is that a year of math is required senior year so I'm gonna have to figure out what to do with my councilors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I struggled immensely in pre-cal (my teacher sucked) and did very well in calculus in high school. I was very glad that I took it as college calc without that background would have kicked my ass. I think it's probably one of the more useful courses in high school to prepare you for college (along with AP bio, which I regret not having having taken in high school).

Thanks man. You have no idea how much that sentence hit me. If Calc 1/Calc 2 is all I need for med school then I'm sure I'll be fine taking it in college.

The only problem is that a year of math is required senior year so I'm gonna have to figure out what to do with my councilors.

I wish I had some advice like that. I would have never taken pre-calc. :(.
I would have opted for easy no work fun classes senor year of h.s.

Glad I can influence a young life in a positive way! ;)

As for a math class, I don't know that I can suggest a great work-around. Are there really easy, no-brainer math classes that you could take? Or could you take a decent math class in the fall, then choose a super easy one in the spring? By that point, college admissions are set, so you've got nothing to worry about.

Anyway, my original advice stands as is. We've all got ~80 years on Earth (not to be morbid), so take some time each step of the way to enjoy the things that really matter. Like friends and family.

I struggled immensely in pre-cal (my teacher sucked) and did very well in calculus in high school. I was very glad that I took it as college calc without that background would have kicked my ass. I think it's probably one of the more useful courses in high school to prepare you for college (along with AP bio, which I regret not having having taken in high school).

I know what you mean. My teacher just doesn't know how to teach really. It's kind of funny because I do the most studying and work in pre-calc than in another class and I have a B- to show for it lol. Did you take Calc 1 again or just move on to Calc 2 in college?

Glad I can influence a young life in a positive way! ;)

As for a math class, I don't know that I can suggest a great work-around. Are there really easy, no-brainer math classes that you could take? Or could you take a decent math class in the fall, then choose a super easy one in the spring? By that point, college admissions are set, so you've got nothing to worry about.

Anyway, my original advice stands as is. We've all got ~80 years on Earth (not to be morbid), so take some time each step of the way to enjoy the things that really matter. Like friends and family.

Well I guess I'm gonna go speak to my councilor soon to talk about what options I have to fulfill my math credit for the year. Nothing you can really help with because I come from a school that accepts culinary arts as a math credit :)laugh:) but thanks for the help anyway. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my back now that I don't have to put up with math for a year.

So I take it that the journey to med school doesn't involve the taking of a lot of math classes? Correct me if I am wrong.

My only worry is that I'll forget everything two years from now in college (which happens regardless after summer) and I will end up not knowing what to do in Calc in college. I guess this can be fixed by actually reviewing for a decent amount of time over the summer. :)

Well I guess I'm gonna go speak to my councilor soon to talk about what options I have to fulfill my math credit for the year. Nothing you can really help with because I come from a school that accepts culinary arts as a math credit :)laugh:) but thanks for the help anyway. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my back now that I don't have to put up with math for a year.

So I take it that the journey to med school doesn't involve the taking of a lot of math classes? Correct me if I am wrong.

My only worry is that I'll forget everything two years from now in college (which happens regardless after summer) and I will end up not knowing what to do in Calc in college. I guess this can be fixed by actually reviewing for a decent amount of time over the summer. :)

Med schools almost universally require very little math. Some schools require a statistics class and some require a year of math. I think Duke requires a year of calc and one stats course as the absolute most stringent school. Check out the MSAR for guidelines for each school. Good luck with senior year. Take Baking 101 and you'll thank yourself later. Have fun!

I would recommend taking the hardest courses you can. Unlike medical school admissions committees, undergraduate admissions committees care about how much you challenged yourself.

You'll have less free time, but you'll be at an advantage when you apply to colleges, particularly if you're set on attending a top 20 school, which would then put you at an advantage come med. school application time.

Few med schools require math, and the ones that do require a one or two semesters. Some will insist that one of these semesters be taken as an undergraduate (i.e. AP won't work).

I took Calc I in college again. It was good to have the background in hs. Even with it though, I was not ready to jump straight to Calc II.

I know what you mean. My teacher just doesn't know how to teach really. It's kind of funny because I do the most studying and work in pre-calc than in another class and I have a B- to show for it lol. Did you take Calc 1 again or just move on to Calc 2 in college?