AP chem/AP Bio??

ReyesSMHS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So next year I hav a choice to choose between AP bio and AP chem and I'm not quite sure which one I would rather do.I'm leaning toward chem right now because In college I want to pursue a pharmaceutical career, and also I am taking a chemistry class right now so I feel like the material will be fresh in my head. I have no real prefrence from one subject or the other, so I can't choose from that. What do you guys think? Which one did you like better or what did u score on the AP exam and the difficulty of the class? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've taken/taking both.

Biology is more memorization, while chemistry involves more formulas. Generally, bio is the harder test to pass. With that said, I found bio really easy. Keep up with the reading, and it's a lot like APUSH.

Take both, you can handle it. If you can't, take the one you are more interested in.

Oh yeah I am currently enrolled in AP US.. But hmm idk like I know many people here have much more demanding schedules than I do, but 4 aps is too much for me. I have Ap english 12 Ap gov and I am trying to decide between chem and bio

Personally i'd chose chem because you can develop a foundation earlier on, whereas in biology you can't really do it to the extent of chemistry since you are just reading text in Bio and in college you will likely re-read the chapters to do well on the tests. Since chemistry is more problem solving, it's always good to create a foundation for it. It's like Calculus... you want to have a strong foundation in algebra.

Personally i'd chose chem because you can develop a foundation earlier on, whereas in biology you can't really do it to the extent of chemistry since you are just reading text in Bio and in college you will likely re-read the chapters to do well on the tests. Since chemistry is more problem solving, it's always good to create a foundation for it. It's like Calculus... you want to have a strong foundation in algebra.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking too..

So next year I hav a choice to choose between AP bio and AP chem and I'm not quite sure which one I would rather do.I'm leaning toward chem right now because In college I want to pursue a pharmaceutical career, and also I am taking a chemistry class right now so I feel like the material will be fresh in my head. I have no real prefrence from one subject or the other, so I can't choose from that. What do you guys think? Which one did you like better or what did u score on the AP exam and the difficulty of the class? Thanks!

It depends on what grade you're in. If I was a senior, I would take AP Chem as it would prepare you for college chem. If I was a junior, I'd take AP Bio and AP Chem later, as for me, chem is more difficult and it would be better to have a fresher skill set in it going into college.

Well, if you're leaning more towards pharmaceuticals, I would recommend taking AP Chem over AP Bio. It would be best if you could take both, if possible.

Be aware that, if you're applying to medical school, many schools will not take AP credit in certain subjects, especially science courses (or will require you take an upper division class in place of basic classes).

I vote bio. You need more of a foundation in chem than in bio, and taking a year off of chem in college (if you take AP chem and don't take general chemistry at all in college) might make you forget some things and you might have a little bit trouble at organic. I took AP bio and had no problem with anatomy/micro after not taking any bio since sophomore year of high school (that's when I took AP).

I don't vote both. It's your senior year. You're supposed to have fun with it. You'll have plenty of time to take chem or bio in college. If you're pursuing a pharmacy degree, chances are that you won't be able to get out of school in less than 6 years anyway.

With what has been said I would say either is beneficial, but if you can only take one take the one you feel most comfortable in, and do the best in. Realistically it will not hurt you in the long run if you take one over the other. Take the one you can do good in and are passionate about.

As far as AP tests go, Chemistry for me was by far easier. Biology has just way to many things to memorize, Chemistry was mostly math.

Last edited:
First of all, I disagree with IndianJatt. I still say Bio. Bio is a very difficult class for most because of the sheer amount of information you have to take in, allowing yourself to do some of that in high school will greatly prepare you for college. Furthermore, for me, concepts in chemistry are easy to grasp, and it sort of is like a math class (you have to take in a lot less information, and complete repetitive problems/tasks). Lastly, there is an 30% overlap between bio and chem. Taking bio will allow you to grasp basic chemistry + biological concepts, so that in college you have a head start on the theory behind what you are studying, and all you have left to learn is the 'how to' (math based calculations in chemistry), or application of the science.

On a side note, World Lit. is the hardest AP class I have taken. For me personally:

World Lit = Bio + Chem + US Gov + Econ

I found Lit and Composition easy enough, but poetry is not my cup of tea. Combine that with mind-numbingly boring passages that you have to analyze and identify literary devices for. Personally, if I could reschedule this class, I would do so in a heartbeat. Lol, I still managed to pull off a B+ in this class though.

Last edited:
If one takes both classes and passes the AP exam for each, is it a good idea to retake them in college for the purpose of boosting your GPA? Or taking higher level courses right off the bat? I was thinking to use non-science ap and dc credits and doing bio and chem again... Thoughts?

I don't think you necessarily need to do either. Have a lighter schedule freshman year. Choose a minor. Do something interesting.
My freshman year I enrolled in a minor and did take some classes that I was supposed to take down the road, but they were humanities classes. No need to overexert yourself with organic/microbio/etc... freshman year.