AP Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melody123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I am a prefrosh and I am going to a 0+6 pharmacy school
I took AP Chemistry during my junior year in high school and I got a 5.
Since a lot of time has passed, I've forgotten some chemistry.
My question is,

Should I place out of General Chem I, II in college, or should i just review it?

I would be nice to skip a course because i'll get to spend more time on other hard courses.
Is general chem highly used in other chemistry subjects i'll have to take such as Organic Chem I, II, Pharmaceutical Chem, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest to take it again as like a review course. Because as you know that's the base's for like org 1 + 2, Biochem, etc.... But if you feel like you know it really well then maybe try to take the clip version of the course. The reason why i say take it again is because you will see it again in the PCAT. I known your trying to get into a 0+6 but if something doesn't work out then you can open your options.

I was in the same position as you. I took AP my senior year of high school, and then the next year I started a 0-6 program. I decided to take chem to make sure I understood it all so that I would have a good background for organic. I ended up getting a B in chem in college even though I did well in the AP class. I also did pretty well on the chem section on the PCAT (>90).. my prof just didn't give out many As. I REALLY regret taking chem in college. Organic deals with little to none inorganic chem. I haven't taken biochem yet, but I would assume you wouldn't take that until your junior year (that's the schedule I'm on) so taking chem your freshmen year probably wouldn't be much help.
My suggestion is to not take it, especially since you got a 5 on the AP exam.. you probably understood it pretty well. And, you don't have to take the PCAT if you're in 0-6 anyway so taking chem seems like a waste of a semester that you could be getting o chem over with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure about this so don't quote me on this, but is your school giving you credit for both semesters of Gen Chem or just one? I think Butler just gives you credit for one semester of it and then you can take Advanced General Chem-a one semester course and if you get an A in that then they will give you a retroactive A for the Gen. Chem 1. Of course this is for purposes of auto-advancement so the grade in the course counts towards your pre-pharm GPA and the 9 critical pre-pharm classes that they look at. I would suspect that your school might have something similar; I would check into it.

psshhh, if you got a 5, and its 0+6, skip it. no use in taking it if its 0+6

I passed AP chem with a 5 too and did not retake it in college. I was thus the only freshman sitting in the o-chem class during my freshman year for the bachelor degree. People looked at me like I was an alien :D But the point is that if you are comfortable with yourself knowing that it just take quick reviews to regain all those stoichiometrical formulas, gas laws, reactions etc, you are good to go. You have to be honest to yourself about this, if you see that AP did not prepare you well enough, retake the classes in college. You'll see again all these gchem things in biochem, cell, genetics,... (especially mole calculations, reaction balance, redox potentials....). PCAT has a huge portion of gen chem also. So good luck deciding!

I got a 4 but nearly got a C- in college, which was NOT fun. The AP test is ridiculously easy compared to college level work (for the most part).

I didn't have the opportunity to take AP chemistry. I don't think it's a great idea to skip it since you're going to have so much more chemistry to come. Look at it as an easy A, to help boost the GPA.