AP courses question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ash914

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising sophomore neuroscience major and I was trying to figure out whether to retake some of my AP courses. I got 4's in calc and physics and 5's in bio and chem, but on my transcript they all appear just as "credit accepted." Since I got a 4 in calc I already retook that, and I'm currently registered to retake physics (figured I could use the help for the MCAT). I've already accepted the chem credit, as I took orgo freshman year and did well, so I'll be taking biochem as an advanced course to fulfill the chem requirement most school ask for beyond just AP credit.

Now I'm trying to figure out whether to use my bio credit. If I don't I would have to wait until I've taken biochem and then take two more advanced courses. Looking at what I've got planned out, I wouldn't be able to take them until the semesters after applying to med school, and I don't think I should apply without any bio coursework beyond the neuro classes for my major. So now I have to decide if I want to sign up for gen bio for the coming semester. Even if I decide to do that, I would still list two bio courses on my med school apps for courses I intend to take in the year after I apply. My only worry is that it might look bad if I'm retaking so many courses that I already have credit for. Overall, my strength of schedule is pretty difficult, but I don't want to come off as taking the easy route by retaking all but one of my ap courses.

Sorry for the long-winded post/wall of text, and any help is really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Check your school's required courses or electives for your major. Sometimes, it is better to take a microbiology course instead of retaking a biology course. I exempted both of my biology classes and was worried until I took biochemistry, genetics, and microbio. All the stuff you have learned will most likely come back to you a lot faster than you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I came into my school with a year and a half of AP credit, and I talked to my pre-med advisor about it. He told me that it really isn't a problem for me, because most schools do not care. If you score well on the MCAT, then it shows that you still have a good feel for the information. Take some practice MCAT tests or buy a subject review book, and then make a decision after that.

My advisor told me once that they would rather just see you take the next level course and do well in it. She was the only advisor I've had that I actually thought knew what she was talking about, so just a thought.

What if you end up doing both, though?

My advisor has recommended people who have taken their biology AP credit to retake it. I don't know if he is just crazy or what. I am pretty sure med schools won't mind because it is not like you failed a course and are retaking it. You should have nothing to worry about.

Just be aware that a few schools don't let you use AP credit.

what schools are those? i have yet to see one...i haven't been looking hard, but all the ones i have seen say they will take it if your UG institution took it an put it on the transcript.

So I guess I'll just retake it then, and try to fit in some other bio courses my senior year and the summer after junior year.

Thanks for the help