AP/CP vs AP only certification for Forensic Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dyson Sphere

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the forensic pathologists and residents in training out there, what are your thoughts on certifying in AP/CP vs AP only? Especially in the setting of a combined AP/CP program, e.g. having enough CP rotations to sit for CP boards but choosing not to.

The gist (lol) from a prior thread seems to be that CP training can be valuable, but certification in CP has limited to no use in forensics. I'd rather not pay for, prepare for, and maintain a certification that I neither want nor will use.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think my forensic path friend dropped CP and is a practicing FP now.

I think my forensic path friend dropped CP and is a practicing FP now.

Thanks, I've heard of numerous FPs dropping CP, or being AP only. Every forensic pathology job (and fellowship) positing that I can find requires AP only. I suppose my question isn't "can I do forensics as AP only," rather "If I practice forensic path, why should I certify in CP as well as AP?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Some offices will increase your salary if you have additional board certifications.

I had similar feelings going into boards. I took and passed CP, as I was really following the reasoning of a mentor "you might as well sit for the test and get certified if you put the time in training." That being said, if I had only passed AP and not CP, I would have paid the extra money and certified AP only no questions. Thus far in my short FP career, I haven't ever been happy/thankful that I am CP certified. The CP training has come in handy a few times though. Good luck!

I was AP/FP only and did not do a CP residency. Instead I did an additional year of surgical pathology training that I find to be useful. In all my years of doing FP I have never once encountered a CP issue.

I would only ever do Forensics as some carrot to get an incredible AP/CP contract. Like you are the "man" in some small town doing literally everything and setting your own price.

Maybe they thrown in a house and a wife too. Puppy named Rambo.
3c8l79.jpg

Dunno I would say ALWAYS ALWAYS do AP/CP, you lose far too many options not doing it. But the entire MOC thing is absolutely lame so maybe just to never have to MOC the CP crap, skip it. But I still keep doors open. I always keep my doors open in this field, too many things can go sideways on you at the drop of a hat to do anything else.

Always thought they were lazy for dropping CP. The one I know that dropped CP couldn’t pass it.