AP Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingMob

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just started my junior year, and determined that I wanted to go pre-med. Unfortunately, my previous plans were to major in business and minor in biology. Because it was only a minor, I was allowed to use AP credit to pass out of my first semesters of Biology and Chemistry. Of course, now that I'm pre-med, I'm sorely regretting that decision. My school won't let me go back and take those two semesters for a grade, only course credit. Are the first semesters of Biology and Chemistry that important to medical schools that I should take the two courses before I graduate, or could I just take them at a public university after I walk?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

This naive one (me :) ) has a question regarding AP credits. I understand that the "AP" stands for "advanced placement", correct? But what exactly are they all about? I don't believe we have such things here in Canada.

Cheers,
Kirsteen

Basically, AP comes from the latin words Acrosi Phalicti, in reference to the uncertain nature of students.

Just kidding.

AP courses are taken by US students during high school. Near the end of the school year, a test is given to assess the cumulative knowledge of each subject taken. Depending on the score obtained (1-5, 4 & 5 being fairly respectable scores), colleges may grant college credits. Not all colleges recognize AP credit, and most don't grant the same number of credits for the same scores.

Hope this explains anything.

~AS1~

Members don't see this ad :)
According to several medical school websites: If you used AP credits to get out of the basic courses you need to make up those credit hours with more advanced courses. ie if you skipped 2 lower-division Bio classes you need to now take 2 upper-division Bio classes instead.