AP credits for med school?

DreyA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to be a senior in high school this fall, and my AP exam results from junior hear came in a few days ago. I got a 4 in AP Chem, and a 5 in Calc, US History, and English. Most medical schools require chem and English, and some recommend calc as well. Do you guys think I should use my AP credit given that my scores are decent? I've read plenty of posts on the matter but there's always arguments and stuff with some people who think AP credits are garbage and others who think AP credits save time and money. Also, the medical school that I want to eventually apply to (I know, it's kind of early to think about it) because it's close to my house, is not as competitive as other schools like HMS and is easier to get into. What do you guys think? I just want some clarity on this issue. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

is not as competitive as other schools like HMS

XD You realize Harvard Medical School is one of the hardest to get into, so saying it is less competitive does not say much.

I think it would be wise to actually take the upper-level courses (during college) for Chemistry and Biology – especially for the MCAT, while the AP scores for unrelated subjects, such as APUSH are fine to send in.

Check and see how your college handles this. Also, plan on applying to more than one school.

Also, this should probably be in hSDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use the 5's that you got as those will save money and aren't necessarily "pre-reqs". With chem it's tricky BC some med schools might not accept a 4, and it could make studying for the MCAT harder as that material is older.

Last edited:
4b13ce939a967246aa4be472f47dc247

wat

This is on MSAR. Generally AP credits are accepted less often than online credits. A few do accept them. A few more are case by case. Most do not.

it depends on the school

if they don't accept any others most accept calc to fulfill the recommendation

plus the AP exam covers more than calc 1 (AB covers about 2/3 of calc II, BC covers all of calc II)