AP credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zriceman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i was placed out of Calc1 and Calc2 from my AP calc BC score, but do i still need to take Calc1 and calc2 in college?

Members don't see this ad.

no. when you decide to apply to dental school there is a section where you can list your AP course work that places you out of those courses..

on a similar note...could you tell dental schools that you did *running-start? (they might think that you went to a comm. college and then transfered to a 4 yr...which might look less "impressive").

*running-start= when you go to a comm. college while you're still in high school...earn credits...transfer some of the credits to the four year univ. you go to after graduating HS.

Members don't see this ad :)
UW09 said:
on a similar note...could you tell dental schools that you did *running-start? (they might think that you went to a comm. college and then transfered to a 4 yr...which might look less "impressive").

*running-start= when you go to a comm. college while you're still in high school...earn credits...transfer some of the credits to the four year univ. you go to after graduating HS.

When you fill out the courses for the community college that you have credits with, there's a part where you can list anything special about the class. For example, honors, IB, AP/dual enrollment type thing...see if there's anything that fits your case.

I'm confused about the AP credits too. I didn't get the appropriate AP scores to pass me out of anything. In that case, do I still need to include my AP credits on the application? The thing is, on my UCLA transcript, it listed other AP exams like US history, Euro, US govert, which are not needed for dental school but do I still need to report it? If yes, I'm guessing I have to contact ETS to request for a score report be sent to AADSAS.

Aslo, when entering coursework, we have to enter the school we attended for that course. What school should we put to enter the AP exams?

miravyn said:
I'm confused about the AP credits too. I didn't get the appropriate AP scores to pass me out of anything. In that case, do I still need to include my AP credits on the application? The thing is, on my UCLA transcript, it listed other AP exams like US history, Euro, US govert, which are not needed for dental school but do I still need to report it? If yes, I'm guessing I have to contact ETS to request for a score report be sent to AADSAS.

Aslo, when entering coursework, we have to enter the school we attended for that course. What school should we put to enter the AP exams?

usually your undergrad transcript will say on it whether or not u received ap credit for their system. just put what is written on ur transcript if it is there...that eliminates most of the guesswork. and it states in the aadsas faq's to put the ap course under the college that gave you credit for it:

Q: How do I list Advanced Placement (AP) coursework?
A: List the college/university that originally posted your Advanced Placement coursework in the Colleges Attended section. Then, in the Coursework section, enter the AP courses for which you received credit. Indicate in the "special designations" section that the courses are AP.

edit:
it's actually posted in 2 different areas of FAQ:

Q: How do I list credits I earned in high school through the College Board Advanced Placement Examination?
A: You do not have to submit a high school transcript to AADSAS. If you received college credit for coursework you completed in high school by successfully completing of the College Board's Advanced Placement Examination, the credits should be posted to a college transcript. Indicate that college as one of your "Colleges Attended" and report your courses and grades earned. In the "special designations" section of the coursework section, indicate that the courses/credits are "advanced placement." Classes designated "Advanced Placement" are not used when computing AADSAS GPA's.

UW09 said:

You mean joint enrollment? Yeah I did that in high school to for English at a two year institution. But guess what those are the only two B's on my whole transcript damn teacher had it in for me, she wasn't even a Ph.D. Thank god they don’t count for grades on my GSU transcript so still have the flawless 4.0.

I passed an AP exam in high school, but it wasn't throught any college or anything...so I was confused as to how to list that. Also what about CLEP exams, I passed a few clep exams. I took them at a local community college, but that was just the testing site. Any idea of what I should do?

netsn06 said:
usually your undergrad transcript will say on it whether or not u received ap credit for their system. just put what is written on ur transcript if it is there...that eliminates most of the guesswork. and it states in the aadsas faq's to put the ap course under the college that gave you credit for it:

Q: How do I list Advanced Placement (AP) coursework?
A: List the college/university that originally posted your Advanced Placement coursework in the Colleges Attended section. Then, in the Coursework section, enter the AP courses for which you received credit. Indicate in the "special designations" section that the courses are AP.

edit:
it's actually posted in 2 different areas of FAQ:

Q: How do I list credits I earned in high school through the College Board Advanced Placement Examination?
A: You do not have to submit a high school transcript to AADSAS. If you received college credit for coursework you completed in high school by successfully completing of the College Board's Advanced Placement Examination, the credits should be posted to a college transcript. Indicate that college as one of your "Colleges Attended" and report your courses and grades earned. In the "special designations" section of the coursework section, indicate that the courses/credits are "advanced placement." Classes designated "Advanced Placement" are not used when computing AADSAS GPA's.

Thanks so much!

One quick question, do we still need to request a score report from ETS to have sent to AADSAS...the credits are already on the university transcript so what's the point right?

miravyn said:
One quick question, do we still need to request a score report from ETS to have sent to AADSAS...the credits are already on the university transcript so what's the point right?

no problematos.

yea if it's on the transcript dont think we need to send anything else to aadsas to confirm it.

cowsgomoo said:
You mean joint enrollment? Yeah I did that in high school to for English at a two year institution. But guess what those are the only two B's on my whole transcript damn teacher had it in for me, she wasn't even a Ph.D. Thank god they don’t count for grades on my GSU transcript so still have the flawless 4.0.

But they count for your overall gpa when filling out your dental application dont they? Or did you just omit them.

UW09 said:
But they count for your overall gpa when filling out your dental application dont they? Or did you just omit them.

I believe it's counted in your AADSAS GPA. I was a dumb high school who took college classes and didn't try hard...I got a B in precalculus and a C in calculus 1 at some 2-year institution. I wish they had told me those grade would matter in the future.

Schools are not that particular about earlier grades. If u make an honest effort you will get a chance for an interview. :thumbup:

miravyn said:
I believe it's counted in your AADSAS GPA. I was a dumb high school who took college classes and didn't try hard...I got a B in precalculus and a C in calculus 1 at some 2-year institution. I wish they had told me those grade would matter in the future.

miravyn said:

Luckily I know and I'm doing pretty well in my math classes right now. I'm mostly taking english/math classes and letting the science pre-reqs alone until I enroll at the UW next fall. It just kinda bugs me that they didnt include "running-start" as an option under the "Special Classification" when choosing the courses you took (they got like honors, study abroad, AP/CLEP, IB...).