Ap/np

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyNameIsOtto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While checking out what institutions offer neuropath fellowships, I noticed that some places don't explicitly state they have neuropath as a fellowship but that they do offer the AP/NP track.

Can anyone comment on institutions that offer AP/NP, in terms of if they outright advertise versus just offer it to those interested?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

off the top of my head, i know that duke and UTSW offer the AP/NP track. my thought would be that any place that offered AP only AND a NP fellowship would at least consider an AP/NP applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Places I know of that offer AP/NP are WashU, UWash, MGH, BWH, UPenn, Hopkins, UCSF, Stanford.

As I've mentioned in prior threads, MGH neuropath is AWESOME. You can apply AP/NP. You finish your AP training in 2 years, and then do 2 years of NP. The neuropath fellowship has rotations at Brigham and Children's as well. We have a great autopsy service, with lots of degenerative diseases in association with our Alzheimer Disease Research Center (ADRC). Dr. Louis, the chair of the department, is one of the WHO authors, and Dr. Hedley-Whyte is a legend in the field. There are great unknown conferences, frozen sections, and interdisciplinary conferences with neurology and peds neuro. Plus, there are great opportunities for research, in and out of the Harvard system.

For more info:
http://www.massgeneral.org/pathology/train/fellowships.htm#NEUROPATH

As I've mentioned in prior threads, MGH neuropath is AWESOME. You can apply AP/NP. You finish your AP training in 2 years, and then do 2 years of NP. The neuropath fellowship has rotations at Brigham and Children's as well. We have a great autopsy service, with lots of degenerative diseases in association with our Alzheimer Disease Research Center (ADRC). Dr. Louis, the chair of the department, is one of the WHO authors, and Dr. Hedley-Whyte is a legend in the field. There are great unknown conferences, frozen sections, and interdisciplinary conferences with neurology and peds neuro. Plus, there are great opportunities for research, in and out of the Harvard system.

For more info:
http://www.massgeneral.org/pathology/train/fellowships.htm#NEUROPATH

yep. the only place i would ever consider doing NP (if I did somehow hit my head hard enough to want to do it...) would be MGH.

Yes, we sure do. We actually have one resident who is finally finishing up AP/NP/CP. He is a PGY 7, b/c he started when AP/CP was 5 years.
We have a young attending who trained at UCSF... did AP/CP, then surg path and neuropath. Signs out general surg path (is one of the go-to people for breast path) AND neuropath. One of the most normal helpful uncynical junior attendings I know!

Agreed. That's what I hear.

Shameless plug for UCSF.

We see a fair amount of neuro-onc here and the attendings in neuro are great teachers and people. Deschutes can testify re: the finished product.

Shameless plug for UCSF.

We see a fair amount of neuro-onc here and the attendings in neuro are great teachers and people. Deschutes can testify re: the finished product.

Yep UCSF has some NP ninjas. Nice people too.

Shameless plug for UCSF.

Forgot to mention that said junior attending is in private practice (obviously in a large group). So neuropath doesn't necessarily equal academic track. But he was street-smart and had great quantities of motivation, being that he was willing to put in time to do CP as well as get good at general surg path - all in addition to doing what he clearly reeeeally wanted to do.

Shameless plug for UCSF.

Tihran? The department bench seems shallow when you compare it to Harvard. MGH's dept. is big and attendings in NP can flow between MGH-BID-Boston-BWH. Plus as a MGH fellow you spend rotations at BWH/Childrens. +New England Neuropath Society..

Im not saying UCSF is bad, its great but MGH is head and shoulders over any NP training perhaps in the world.

Tihran? The department bench seems shallow when you compare it to Harvard. MGH's dept. is big and attendings in NP can flow between MGH-BID-Boston-BWH. Plus as a MGH fellow you spend rotations at BWH/Childrens. +New England Neuropath Society..

Im not saying UCSF is bad, its great but MGH is head and shoulders over any NP training perhaps in the world.
And no one need look anywhere else because there is only ever one person in the world applying to neuropath each year... :rolleyes:

And no one need look anywhere else because there is only ever one person in the world applying to neuropath each year... :rolleyes:

the competition for NP slots is ******ed easy and in no way whatsoever comparable to even the worst of Derm programs.

Anyway, how does the number of people applying affect MGH's no1 status? You lost me...

Not true this year, there were at least a half dozen MD/PhDs from top places vying for the MGH and other AP/NP spots.

the competition for NP slots is ******ed easy and in no way whatsoever comparable to even the worst of Derm programs.

Anyway, how does the number of people applying affect MGH's no1 status? You lost me...
Nobody is doubting that MGH is the #1 place to go for NP in the minds of many people on this board. But if people are coming here looking for NP training information apart from that at the #1 program in the country due to whatever personal reasons then the value of the thread is degraded if the responses only say things like "MGH #1~!!!!!!111@!!!!eleven!!!!" etc.

It depends on what you want to do in NP also. If you don't commit to basic research at some of the larger programs they won't consider your application. That may be as easy as saying "yeah I LOVE research" and then leave to wherever you want. But if you're honest and say "I'm really interested in taking this to private practice somewhere or at least have the option to" you'll need to look more broadly.

Of course if you're looking at AP/NP you're pretty much declaring you're going into acedemics from the beginning.

I won't try to rank the neuropath programs, but will describe UPenn which I think is very good training. Between HUP (adult) and CHOP (peds), we have seven neuropathology attendings (Rorke, Gonatas, Trojanowski, Mourelatos, Schlaepfer, Golden, Judkins). I believe five of them have served as president of the AANP - which speaks to their reputations. We have people in the WHO books, faculty with successful NIH funded laboratories, etc. etc.

We are also getting two additional neuropathologists to join CHOP, and are working out the details on one if not two neuropathologist to join HUP. Admittedly, our HUP faculty have focused more on neurodegenerative diseases than tumors, but the new hires should change this.

The fellowship may not be for everyone. It's a "sink or swim" type of fellowship where you're given a lot of responsibility quickly.

We have a very interesting neuro-onc service. We get tons of brains via the Alzheimer's disease center. Our muscle/nerve service is picking up, and indeed because National Children's has lost their neuropathologist - their muscle biopsies are now going to come up here. We don't see too much eye path, but fellows have rotated with the opthopath guru at Will's Eye Hospital just down the road (Ralph Eagle).

Anyway, I don't know the criteria for ranking neuropath programs, but when I had the choice, I picked Penn.

I won't try to rank the neuropath programs, but will describe UPenn which I think is very good training. Between HUP (adult) and CHOP (peds), we have seven neuropathology attendings (Rorke, Gonatas, Trojanowski, Mourelatos, Schlaepfer, Golden, Judkins). I believe five of them have served as president of the AANP - which speaks to their reputations. We have people in the WHO books, faculty with successful NIH funded laboratories, etc. etc.

We are also getting two additional neuropathologists to join CHOP, and are working out the details on one if not two neuropathologist to join HUP. Admittedly, our HUP faculty have focused more on neurodegenerative diseases than tumors, but the new hires should change this.

The fellowship may not be for everyone. It's a "sink or swim" type of fellowship where you're given a lot of responsibility quickly.

We have a very interesting neuro-onc service. We get tons of brains via the Alzheimer's disease center. Our muscle/nerve service is picking up, and indeed because National Children's has lost their neuropathologist - their muscle biopsies are now going to come up here. We don't see too much eye path, but fellows have rotated with the opthopath guru at Will's Eye Hospital just down the road (Ralph Eagle).

Anyway, I don't know the criteria for ranking neuropath programs, but when I had the choice, I picked Penn.

Well I was going to say something bad about one of your incoming NPs but I'll bite my tongue. Thankfully we're rid of them.