AP only Vs AP/CP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanRaggy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have worked as a surgical pathologist in my home country for 2 years. I had nothing to do with clinical pathology (including hematopathology). In addition, the pathology residency curriculum in my country did not include serum chemistry and microbiology. So these sections seem alien to me. I have applied for Pathology residency match this year and have got interviews from a lot of places that offer AP only tracks. I know about the job market situation and have heard that AP/CP is better for getting jobs (Is that true?). Given the job market, how big a risk is it to do residency in AP only track? Is the job situation equally bad for both AP/CP and AP only people or is it worse for AP only? I am an IMG and will be on J1 visa. I want to stay in academics...

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have worked as a surgical pathologist in my home country for 2 years. I had nothing to do with clinical pathology (including hematopathology). In addition, the pathology residency curriculum in my country did not include serum chemistry and microbiology. So these sections seem alien to me. I have applied for Pathology residency match this year and have got interviews from a lot of places that offer AP only tracks. I know about the job market situation and have heard that AP/CP is better for getting jobs (Is that true?). Given the job market, how big a risk is it to do residency in AP only track? Is the job situation equally bad for both AP/CP and AP only people or is it worse for AP only? I am an IMG and will be on J1 visa. I want to stay in academics...

Thanks in advance!
If you are staying in academics then CP is useless...AP only is fine...to my knowledge most private groups do NOT sponsor a J1 visa anyways...but I am not 100% on that

Reactions: 1 user
This definitely sounds like a question to ask on the interview trail. I know of many residents being actively discouraged (by AP only boarded attendings) of an AP only track unless you are contemplating something like AP/NP.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I don't understand - you are worried about doing AP/CP because you have no exposure in your past to any CP topics?

You do understand what residency is, right? Residency is learning. Nearly every person comes into pathology residency with minimal knowledge of the field. Your previous experience in pathology will put you in the top 5% of pre-existing knowledge for those starting AP residency.

That being said, if you are sure about academics CP probably won't help you much (but also can't hurt - it's only one more year and keeps your options open).

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I don't understand - you are worried about doing AP/CP because you have no exposure in your past to any CP topics?

You do understand what residency is, right? Residency is learning. Nearly every person comes into pathology residency with minimal knowledge of the field. Your previous experience in pathology will put you in the top 5% of pre-existing knowledge for those starting AP residency.

That being said, if you are sure about academics CP probably won't help you much (but also can't hurt - it's only one more year and keeps your options open).

I meant that I am not interested in pursuing residency training in CP. I was speculating that the reason for this lack of interest might be a lack of exposure in the CP areas during my previous training. I apologize for not being able to accurately convey my queries the first time. CP training does not fit the larger picture in my life. My ultimate goal is to subspecialize in AP fellowships and work in academics.

Meanwhile, I have decided that I will opt for AP only track at all four places that offer it. Fortunately, all those places are in top 5 on my priority list.

Thank you very much for replying Yaah. I have been following your posts on SDN for 3 years now. I really appreciate all your inputs and helpful posts here:bow:

I meant that I am not interested in pursuing residency training in CP. I was speculating that the reason for this lack of interest might be a lack of exposure in the CP areas during my previous training. I apologize for not being able to accurately convey my queries the first time. CP training does not fit the larger picture in my life. My ultimate goal is to subspecialize in AP fellowships and work in academics.

Meanwhile, I have decided that I will opt for AP only track at all four places that offer it. Fortunately, all those places are in top 5 on my priority list.

Thank you very much for replying Yaah. I have been following your posts on SDN for 3 years now. I really appreciate all your inputs and helpful posts here:bow:
Why pigeon hole yourself into the crap world of academics for the rest of your career where you will be paid low and overworked all to save one year up front.