Ap Physics or Ap Literature?

VeggieForce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a junior in highschool and im going to schedule with my guidance counselor tomorrow, but I Do not know which class i should take, Ap lit or Ap physics..
This is what i am going to take next year: Ap calc, Ap chem, maybe hon spanish 4, anatomy & physiology 1, and the rest electives.
I took 4 ap this year (comp, bio, stats, u.s. history) and i do not want to take 4 aps again next year. I want to enter the medical field, but im not sure if i should take Ap physics b/c it seems very hard (and i might get a B), but i know that i will need to take physics to pass the MCAT since there is some physics in it and getting familiar with it in high school will help in college. But i know that i will be able to do well in Ap literature (and get an A) since i know i am very good in english...which do u suggest?... i do not want to take both.. at all

Members don't see this ad.

Pros for Literature - easier on you (though as I recall, its a reading- and writing-heavy course), probably lets you get out of some college classes you might not want to take, should count for the English credit that a few med schools want you to have.

Pros for Physics - you'd get one of your premed prereqs out of the way now, which could make your first two yrs of college and your MCAT prep a little easier. Would phys B/C be enough to take the MCAT? I didn't do this one in HS. I would think it is.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these options. Personally, I'd do lit.

Good luck :)

Can you take a study hall? Do they still have those even? If so, I recommend that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took ap physics when i was a junior in high school and I am surrently a senior in college. you will not remember ap physics when it comes time to take the MCAT. trust me! what do you plan on majoring in when you go to college? for example, if you plan on majoring in engineering/math related field then i would recommend taking ap physics. if you dont, then you can take ap lit. its important that you pick classes that you can do well in as well. you already have ap chem and bio which is good.

All things being equal, defer the physics until college. You will generally need several letters of recommendation from college professors (particularly in the sciences) if you choose to apply to medical school. Taking the class during college will give you an opportunity to get to know the professor, and possibly (if you do well) develop a relationship that could lead to a good letter down the road. Science professors in college may also have connections to hook you up with undergraduate research opportunities -- another important part of a medical school application.

My opinion:

Take AP lit, do well on the AP test itself. Go to college and use that AP test credit to waive some fluff requirement every student has to take. Saving yourself/parents money and giving yourself more time and schedule to work with in college.

don't do the physics-it is highly recomended that you take calc before physics. that being said, I'm in lit now and it is easier than comp.

Agreed - calc before physics, and it will look better to med/pharm/professional schools if your lab sciences were done while you are at college

You could probably pass lit and use the credit from it. I haven't taken physics in college yet (took it algebra based as an AP), but it did not get me out of the physics I need for my major and vet pre-reqs. My college just counted the credit from it as a physics elective type of thing. The only thing I think it will help with is maybe making physics a little easier when I do take it (my AP class helped me a ton in chem, but I don't know if I will remember physics by the time I take it).

You'll see first year physics on the MCAT so just go ahead and take physics to get ahead and get used to it. Personally all you need in high school physics is trig/algebra. I wouldnt worry about getting a "B" in high school because admission to med school wont look at your high school grades. For future purposes take physics in high school to better your chances in getting an "A" in college physics I/II and become more comfortable with the subject for the MCAT.