AP Stats or Pre Calc?

neur0goddess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Today we were given our course outlines for next year, which will be my senior year in high school. I'm currently in Algebra II and have the option of taking either AP Statistics or Pre Calculus next year. I *could* be able to double up and take both, but then I couldn't double up on science (I'm planning on taking Chemistry and APES).

What would you guys recommend for an aspiring pre-med? I know that most med schools require a semester of Calc and a semester of Stats, so if I were to not take Pre Calc in high school, how screwed would I be for college Calc? Would I have to take college Pre Calc? Or just pass a placement test? I've struggled with math all my life, but for some reason Alg II just seems to click for me and I'm finding it-dare I say it-fun. I like the problem solving aspect and the feeling of satisfaction you get when you correctly solve a problem.

So yeah...what would you guys do if you were in my situation? What will best prepare me for pre-med? Oh and btw, the teacher for Pre Calc has a reputation for being a total dick and my friends in his class right now have pretty deflated grades...so I'd have to work really hard, but it'd be worth it and I'd be 100% willing to deal with the insufferable teacher if it means that I'll be better served for college...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Today we were given our course outlines for next year, which will be my senior year in high school. I'm currently in Algebra II and have the option of taking either AP Statistics or Pre Calculus next year. I *could* be able to double up and take both, but then I couldn't double up on science (I'm planning on taking Chemistry and APES).

What would you guys recommend for an aspiring pre-med? I know that most med schools require a semester of Calc and a semester of Stats, so if I were to not take Pre Calc in high school, how screwed would I be for college Calc? Would I have to take college Pre Calc? Or just pass a placement test? I've struggled with math all my life, but for some reason Alg II just seems to click for me and I'm finding it-dare I say it-fun. I like the problem solving aspect and the feeling of satisfaction you get when you correctly solve a problem.

So yeah...what would you guys do if you were in my situation? What will best prepare me for pre-med? Oh and btw, the teacher for Pre Calc has a reputation for being a total dick and my friends in his class right now have pretty deflated grades...so I'd have to work hella hard, but it'd be worth it and I'd be 100% willing to deal with the insufferable teacher if it means that I'll be better served for college...
Colleges have different policies about awarding Stat/Calc credit for APs, and med schools have different policies about whether they accept APs, so I wouldn't choose based on that. I took both in high school and enjoyed AP stats a lot more.

I would take Precalc, only because Stats is at pretty much the mathematical level as Algebra 2 and you'll be held back. If you take Stats, which is pretty easy (in my opinion) you'll have to take Precalc in college, which is a little more difficult. I'd say take precalc while it's still slow-going in high school, and take stats in college (trust me, it will be easier on you). Plus, that way, you'll go straight into calculus and won't be held back from physics, if it's required for your major. For the college I'm transferring to soon, all bio majors need physics, which need calculus. That's why I would take precalc in high school if I had the choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would take Precalc, only because Stats is at pretty much the mathematical level as Algebra 2 and you'll be held back. If you take Stats, which is pretty easy (in my opinion) you'll have to take Precalc in college, which is a little more difficult. I'd say take precalc while it's still slow-going in high school, and take stats in college (trust me, it will be easier on you). Plus, that way, you'll go straight into calculus and won't be held back from physics, if it's required for your major. For the college I'm transferring to soon, all bio majors need physics, which need calculus. That's why I would take precalc in high school if I had the choice.

Couldn't you opt for non-calc based Physics tho? Cuz the MCAT doesn't require it? & thanks for the help!

Colleges have different policies about awarding Stat/Calc credit for APs, and med schools have different policies about whether they accept APs, so I wouldn't choose based on that. I took both in high school and enjoyed AP stats a lot more.

thanks for the advice!

Couldn't you opt for non-calc based Physics tho? Cuz the MCAT doesn't require it? & thanks for the help!

You need calc for med school nonetheless. And with regards to physics, it depends on your major. At my school, for example, every biology major requires 2 semesters of calculus-based physics.

Reactions: 2 users
As alphamine said, you will have to take Calc at some point, as most medical schools require either a year of calc or a semester of calc and a semester of stats. Most colleges and medical schools accept AP Calc though, so you can take it in high school.

Im a junior as well going to take precalc as well. So I'd go with precalc but then again, its a tough class so go with stats if its to hard for you

Im a junior as well going to take precalc as well. So I'd go with precalc but then again, its a tough class so go with stats if its to hard for you

yeah, I'm most likely going for Pre Calc. I don't want to have to deal with being behind in Calc and Calc-based courses in colleges so yeah might as well just take it now!

At my university as a pre-health biology major I don't have to take calc based physics. And I'm not. I just have to take general physics.
Edit: Forgot to say, I'd choose precalc. Here we take a math placement test prior to starting our first semester. With precalc knowledge (assuming your college may have a similar "test out" option) you can go straight into calculus.

Last edited:
At my university as a pre-health biology major I don't have to take calc based physics. And I'm not. I just have to take general physics.
Edit: Forgot to say, I'd choose precalc. Here we take a math placement test prior to starting our first semester. With precalc knowledge (assuming your college may have a similar "test out" option) you can go straight into calculus.

Sorry for the late reply, but what does the placement exam at your particular school test you on? Is it pre calc or just general SAT type math problems from all of HS?

If you take Stat, be prepared to aim for a 5 on the AP. Otherwise go with precalc.