APA guidelines on benzodiazepine use

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does the APA have specific guidelines for benzo use? I found some of their stuff for panic disorder but what about GAD/other anxiety disorders? Only asking as im putting together something education for others and wanted to appropriately cite them
 
APA has a link (below) with guidelines for multiple disorders, though some of those guidelines are quite outdated. They do provide guidelines for PTSD, OCD, and panic disorder, but do NOT provide guidelines on this page (or any other I can find) for GAD recommendations. However, in their PTSD guidelines they do make the statement:

"Benzodiazepines cannot be recommended as monotherapy for PTSD patients, despite their proven efficacy in generalized anxiety disorder."

So you can extrapolate that at least some people there feel it's a valid treatment or at least were okay with someone's opinion that it is.

 
its interesting that such a major topic has relatively vague guidelines from the APA.

yea i went through those and as you said, nothing really for GAD. I think they have taken the approach that is similiar to sedative hypnotics approach via american academy of sleep which is what I call, a "shoulder shrug" and confused look.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The APA guidelines are very out of date because they decided a long time ago to get out of the recommendation business fearing liability. They stopped supporting "expert consensus (consensi?)" and such over a decade ago. This isn't a big loss as it amounted to mostly a group of senior academics who decide how to do things with little evidence other than "because this is how I do this".